The Case Of The Missing Tomatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/7b
Country
United States
My cherry tomatoes are starting to ripen and like clock work, when they get fully ripened they disappear. I thought it was my girlfriend snacking on them, but she says it isn't her. I don't think it's my neighbors either. I have noticed some "bird holes" in my larger tomatoes that are coming in, but I've never seen a bird take an entire tomato off a plant. I also don't think it's squirrels, I put up deer netting around the garden and the squirrels haven't gotten in since.

Speaking of birds, anyone have any neat tricks to keep them off the tomatoes that doesn't include bird netting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My cherry tomatoes are starting to ripen and like clock work, when they get fully ripened they disappear. I thought it was my girlfriend snacking on them, but she says it isn't her. I don't think it's my neighbors either. I have noticed some "bird holes" in my larger tomatoes that are coming in, but I've never seen a bird take an entire tomato off a plant. I also don't think it's squirrels, I put up deer netting around the garden and the squirrels haven't gotten in since.

Speaking of birds, anyone have any neat tricks to keep them off the tomatoes that doesn't include bird netting?
I have not tried it but some people hang red round xmass tree ornaments on the plants to mimic tomatoes. The birds come and give it a peck and find out it isn't very good. Me, I have to pick my tomatoes before they turn red or I won't get any. No difference in the taste whether totally vine ripened or finished ripening inside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I do like Chuck says and pick them before they are red and I don't have much problems that way with other animals getting my tomatoes.

Ask a Question