Finally time to reap the work of the last couple years - asparagus

Reaction score
How many spears can you get from a single plant when they're mature?

Difficult to say - because the spears are continually produced throughout the growing cycle - which means that you never get to see all the spears at any one time.

However if you are wondering how many crowns you would need in order to supply your family with a bountiful supply of asparagus - the recommended number of crowns per family member is between 10 and 25 - but no less than 10 :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've had asparagus growing for many years.The Mary Washington variety. It can take a minimum of 3 years to see some spheres to eat and you still need to go easy on them. We tried a purple variety which is incredibly sweet and tender. Have you heard of them. I'm not sure of the variety name we ended up planting but there are a couple available.Well worth sourcing and planting.

purple_asparagus__90734.1339742807.220.220.jpg

I have never seen the purple asparagus before, and only white and the common green one. This is fascinating to see asparagus coming in purple! I will have to look online for this. Looks just gorgeous!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I waited 2 years for some Carnations I planted from seed to flower :whistle: The good news is they did.

Reaction score
Really? Two years? That is odd, lol. That is why I hate growing things from seed, specially flowers, because I always end up sooo disappointed :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Some Carnations (among other plants) are biennial, it typically takes them 2 years to flower. If I recall some berries are also and when you buy them they are in their second year so they will have fruit the first year you own them.

Gardening has taught me a small degree of patience.

Ask a Question