Finally time to reap the work of the last couple years - asparagus

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm excited. Two seasons ago I planted asparagus in my garden and this year I have finally been able to reap the benefits of some of my asparagus shoots. I fried them up and had them with BBQ steak last night. Personally I think the fact that I have been waiting for two years to finally eat them made them taste all that much better!

Does anyone else find that the reward is that much more sweet after having had to wait? Do you think that multiple year investments (like asparagus and garlic) are worth the wait or are you more of a one season fits all kind of gardener?

Jed

Reaction score
I've had asparagus growing for many years.The Mary Washington variety. It can take a minimum of 3 years to see some spheres to eat and you still need to go easy on them. We tried a purple variety which is incredibly sweet and tender. Have you heard of them. I'm not sure of the variety name we ended up planting but there are a couple available.Well worth sourcing and planting.

purple_asparagus__90734.1339742807.220.220.jpg

Reaction score
I can only imagine the victory of finally getting to eat your own food after being patient for two years! Congratulations! I hope future crops don't take so long.

Why does asparagus take so long? Can you harvest on a yearly basis after this?

Reaction score
I can only imagine the victory of finally getting to eat your own food after being patient for two years! Congratulations! I hope future crops don't take so long.

I couldn't give you a solid answer to WHY asparagus takes so long to get started, but essentially you are waiting for the asparagus shoots to get to a bit enough size in order to harvest. I have always been told that the ideal size for asparagus to pick, are those shoots that are about the size of a pencil (in diameter) and six to eight inches long. The first two growing seasons you only get small shoots of asparagus coming up and therefore no harvest. This year for example (so far) I have picked about 10-12 shoots that are of the right size and have left the other smaller ones to go to seed. You should be able to harvest on a yearly basis after that since you will always have some that achieve the optimal size that year and some that are left for later years' harvests. Once planted, you can have asparagus growing in the bed as long as up to 20 years! The site below has some great information on starting, harvesting and cooking asparagus (and a lot more info than I can give in the post!).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It definitely is rewarding but personally, I'd prefer not to wait for so long to eat my asparagus...I wish it grew faster. I'm a very impatient person and I adore asparagus, in my opinion it's one of the most delicious vegetables. I always cook it and eat it with butter - so yummy!:D

Reaction score
I have had asparagus growing for about the last 8 years and we get so much from 8 plants that we can't possibly eat it all. You have to pick it daily as it grows that fast. I have had all sizes and I prefer them slightly larger than a pencil and some of mine get as thick as dime or even a penny. You would think that they would be tough but the are not. My dog loves them too and she can often be found chewing them off right out in the garden, eating them to the ground.

Reaction score
We pick it free growing wild on the side of the back country roads. YUM pickled asparagus!!

When I was living in South Eastern British Columbia (Canada), there were so many different things that we could get just off the roads that no longer belonged to anyone. Just due to the nature of the climate there were pear trees just off some of the main highways and one could easily park the car and grab a bucketfull. Similarly, blackberry and raspberry seasons yielded similar harvests!

Jed

Reaction score
Asparagus grown from seed or seedlings takes longer for a crop as the crown or root system has to develop.
For those who are impatient for their asparagus hit they can buy crowns ready to plant and if done properly can harvest in the first year.
The one below would be at least four or possibly many more years old.
images

images

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm excited. Two seasons ago I planted asparagus in my garden and this year I have finally been able to reap the benefits of some of my asparagus shoots. I fried them up and had them with BBQ steak last night. Personally I think the fact that I have been waiting for two years to finally eat them made them taste all that much better!

Does anyone else find that the reward is that much more sweet after having had to wait? Do you think that multiple year investments (like asparagus and garlic) are worth the wait or are you more of a one season fits all kind of gardener?

I love asparagus! We are anticipating a move this summer, so I will be taking at least a couple plants with me in hopes I don't have to wait a long time for more. I like the "plant it and eat it this year" vegetables, but I know things like asparagus take time, as do fruit trees. The wait is definitely worth it when one finally gets to reap the harvest for the first time. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
How awesome! I just bought some asparagus seeds over the weekend so I can get started. Now I just have to figure out where to put them so they can thrive and survive the three years.

Can I start them in flower pots and transplant them later?

Reaction score
I'm loving this thread. I would love to grow, but I can't imagine keeping the bugs off them long enough to harvest. That, and I don't know where to put them. I don't know anything about this first hand, but a house I drive by every day has had them for about 7 years, they come back after every winter apparently. At any rate, it pushes this thread to the top. :)

Reaction score
Personally, I would skip the seeds and go with 2 year old crowns. We were able to have a small meal of asparagus the first year. Only pick spears that are as big around as a pencil. Each year the harvest is about double. We have had 3 meals with asparagus this year, with generous servings. Might get a 4th but it's starting to heat up so I doubt it.

Being able to actually have a few spears the first year made it worth the added cost to plant 2 year old crowns instead of seeds, and from now on, it's free vegies. Just a little compost tea keeps them going nicely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I got so excited last year when I found a pack of seeds in an unlikely place, and then I learned that it takes 3 years to get a crop harvest. Needless to say the seeds were not a high priority after that. I'd still like to get some going in a couple containers though, because asparagus is one of those things that is super expensive at the super market.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Being able to actually have a few spears the first year made it worth the added cost to plant 2 year old crowns instead of seeds, and from now on, it's free vegies. Just a little compost tea keeps them going nicely.

Do you make the compost tea yourself? I wanted to try it, but never got around to it last year. I used all the compost potting up my plants and didn't get more so I forgot about it by the time my home compost was ready. A long time ago I'd read something that said you could keep it in a barrel with a goldfish or two to prevent mosquitoes.

Ask a Question