Finally time to reap the work of the last couple years - asparagus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have had asparagus growing for about the last 8 years and we get so much from 8 plants that we can't possibly eat it all. You have to pick it daily as it grows that fast. I have had all sizes and I prefer them slightly larger than a pencil and some of mine get as thick as dime or even a penny. You would think that they would be tough but the are not. My dog loves them too and she can often be found chewing them off right out in the garden, eating them to the ground.

Wow, I'm getting inspired again to give it a try! I could just do one or two plants and probably have enough for my needs. That's crazy that your dog loves raw asparagus! Dogs are so funny when it comes to stuff like that; my mom's dog like boiled carrots.

Reaction score
I am so jealous! Grilled asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables, add it to steak, and I'm in heaven! I definitely feel like the food tastes better when it has come from my own garden instead of from Wal-Mart. If you could send some asparagus through the forum to my fridge, that'd be nice as well ;)

Reaction score
I cheat when it comes to compost tea. Most of my composting is done just on a 4x4 area of my garden that I rotate each year, But I have one of those barrels that you rotate, and under it, the base collects compost tea, so for me it's just a matter of rolling the barrel off then getting hubby to lift the base and pour it on the asparagus bed.

just a few plants might eventually give someone enough asparagus, but it will take years. I planted 20 plants. 10 purple, 10 green. This is the 3rd year since planting and we had enough for 3 meals. If it goes as it has, we should have at least 6 meals next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I cheat when it comes to compost tea...

just a few plants might eventually give someone enough asparagus, but it will take years. I planted 20 plants. 10 purple, 10 green. This is the 3rd year since planting and we had enough for 3 meals. If it goes as it has, we should have at least 6 meals next year.

Ah, I see. So, not really compost tea, but the liquid byproduct from composting. I've thought about doing the double bin with worms to get that liquid, but for now it's easier to do it outdoors.

I have to start small with asparagus because of space, but I hope to stat expanding more after next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Asparagus is my favorite veggie. I love it more than anything and it is so good for you.

Reaction score
I actually planted one of those starter kits about a month ago of Asparagus, it already had two plants growing from it that are pretty tall, I might just wait a couple years though as I hear they come back more full each time they come back. I have been having to keep it in the shade mostly though as the weather here has been way too hot for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I got so excited last year when I found a pack of seeds in an unlikely place, and then I learned that it takes 3 years to get a crop harvest. Needless to say the seeds were not a high priority after that. I'd still like to get some going in a couple containers though, because asparagus is one of those things that is super expensive at the super market.
I have the same problem, ChanellG. I didn't start my asparagus seeds last year because I knew it takes so long, it was my first time gardening, and I wanted to focus on the regular vegetables. If I had started the seeds, the plants would almost be a year old now. I'd have asparagus next year, but I won't, because I didn't start them.

I did start an artichoke plant. It was nice and big this summer, but we had to move and leave the plant behind and that's terrible, because now I have to start all over :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I did start an artichoke plant. It was nice and big this summer, but we had to move and leave the plant behind and that's terrible, because now I have to start all over :(

Oh, no! You couldn't dig it up and take it with you? How disappointing! At least you know you will be able to do it again. I may go ahead and start those seeds, I don't think they will be viable for much longer. It's a bit late, but after an article I read on winter vegetables, I may start some carrots as well.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I grew a load from seed, need to be over 3 years old before you pick them, but then Sis dug them all up thinking they were dead :(

They need a fair bit of space and a well prepared bed, one plant per square metre.

Reaction score
I'm excited too :D as although asparagus grows wild where I live and I therefore have an abundant supply of wild asparagus - I'm really looking forward to this coming spring - especially as cultivated asparagus tastes way better than wild asparagus - as I will finally be reaping the rewards and having some very substantial pickings from the asparagus I planted three years ago.

Apart from needing plenty of patience and well prepared ground rich in organic matter - as well at least 8 hours of sun - asparagus isn't particularly hard to grow - although how we grow it here is a little more time consuming - as we cover the crowns as they grow - our spacing is a little different too as we plant the crowns 30 - 40 centimeters apart in rows of approximately 1 to 1and a half meters apart :)

Ask a Question