Fig tree question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My fig tree has produced 2 gallon-sized freezer bags of ripe figs, for which I"m extremely grateful. There's still a lot of small, green figs that don't seem to be ripening. Is this what I've heard about a second crop or is that something else and these green ones will ripen in time? These small fruits have been on the tree since the fruit first appeared, so maybe it's still the first crop that haven't ripened yet? I'm in Southeast Coastal Georgia and the temperatures have been in the mid 90s but are starting to come down into the mid to upper 80s.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Congrats!! On temps in 80s and 2 gallons of figs!

On figs I have had it is common for some to ripen slower than others. However, that can also be a sign that the tree isn't getting enough water. Make sure it gets plenty of water during high heat and wait 'em out. Figs do not ripen after they are picked so leave them on the tree until ripe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fortunately, we've had lots of rain to where rust is an issue. I do water when we don't have rain, probably every 4 days. I had someone say that figs do better with a slight amount of stress, so I've been hesitant to water more than that. Here are some pictures.
fig I.JPG
fig II.JPG
fig III.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dig out some of the soil about 7 inches deep in different spots around the tree and make sure the plant is getting enough water deeply. When a fig plant conserves water it will drop its figs to stay alive when water is scarce. You can also conserve water by using hay or straw mulch under the tree to keep water evaporation low. .

Ask a Question