Fig tree - I want to encourage root growth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I just air layered a fig tree. It’s now in a five gallon bucket. It lost a lot of leaves after I cut it from the host but it’s growing new ones now. I’m probably going to plant it in the ground this fall. I want to encourage root growth. How do I do that?

I am in zone 8 South Carolina.

I’m new at this and would appreciate your advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just air layered a fig tree. It’s now in a five gallon bucket. It lost a lot of leaves after I cut it from the host but it’s growing new ones now. I’m probably going to plant it in the ground this fall. I want to encourage root growth. How do I do that?

I am in zone 8 South Carolina.

I’m new at this and would appreciate your advice.
Phosphorus and potassium are the macro-nutrients needed for root growth. Another thing you can do is supplement your NPK fertilizer with a product called Super Thrive which also encourages root development.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New leaves coming sounds like it is doing allright. Sharp sand is usually a good encouragement to root growth, maybe you can incorporate some when you plant it out. If you get it from a builder's merchant it is worth washing it through in case it was mined somewhere with brackish water, but it is a lot cheaper than horticultural sources. Wood ash is a good source for those macro ingredients. I would make up a nice mix, say 4 parts compost, one part sand, one part ash, one part rotted manure and dig it into the hole when you plant it out.

Ask a Question