Main trunk of fig tree broke at root

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last night, the main trunk of our beautiful fig tree crashed down. It split right above the roots. It wasn't even that windy. Any suggestions about possibilities to save it would be highly appreciated.
I was thinking of cutting the main branches off, and then trying to put it back with some heavy braces to keep it in place for a few months or till next year. They sell this product Tree Wound Pruning Sealer and Grafting Compound, not sure if anyone has any experience with that? Especially not sure if it would work with such a large trunk.
But still baffled to how it could have happened. Has been doing beautifully, no signs of pests or anything. It was growing lots and lots of figs, so perhaps the load just got too heavy?
So any ideas what might have caused it will also be highly appreciated.
We had lots of rains recently, so perhaps too much moisture? (We're in Southern California, so normally we're in drought, but had unusual amounts of rain the past three months or so.)

IMG_6577 Large.jpeg
IMG_6578 Large.jpeg
IMG_6579 Large.jpeg
IMG_6580 Large.jpeg
IMG_6581 Large.jpeg
IMG_6582 Large.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've used toilet bowl wax rings for grafting before. Should be able to get it at Lowes. If you are going to use it, time is a factor since you are tring to keep the moisture in the tree and not oozing out. Many are made out of rubber now.

I was thinking there is supposed to be a milky type sap in the center of the branches that will ooze out when cut off. I don't see it in your pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The reason the trunk failed is because of the abnormal height of the tree, also because the trunk was about half hollow as shown in picture #4 and it was very heavy with fruit. The reason the tree is so tall is because it is leggy and is searching for more sunlight. A fig that tall should have a trunk diameter of at least twice that size. Very doubtful if you will be able to save the trunk. A fig trees natural growth habit is that of a multi-trunked bush, not a tall tree.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you both for your suggestions. I tend to agree with Chuck. It was gorgeous at the height that it was, but it would have had to be trimmed much sooner. While the trunk was not half hollow, it was certainly not in a healthy state – that dark spot you see in the picture might be some root rot – perhaps from the rains – going to investigate further.

Ask a Question