Fig tree branches flattened out

Reaction score
Country
United States
These two branches on my fig tree used to point up and one day they just flattened out as you see in the pic. This happened the day after I gave them some water that was left over from steaming vegetables. I let the water cool a few hours before giving it to the tree. I also did this once with my grape vine but no adverse affects there. Is this something to worry about? Will the tree recover? It's also beginning to lose its leaves as fall approaches, so maybe this is normal for this time of year?

20220923_171329.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Could it be possible that the fence behind the tree is stopping wind movement of the stems/trunks making them thinner and weaker, thus allowing the weight of the growth to make the trunk/limb fall over? If so I would I would stake the tree loosely until it grows enough trunk thickness to keep standing. Another possibility is that the roots system hasn't grown or spread enough and the weight of the limbs are allowing the roots to be pulled and moved enough to allow this falling over to be happening. When you planted the tree did you dig down into the soil to plant the tree or did you just plant in the raised portion? If so, then I would have to say that the second possibility is the reason. Either way you will have to stake the tree up until the root system grows large enough to support the tree.

Tuilly

Submit Your Favourite Plant to win Cash.
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have first time saw the fig tree

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
You have a very easy to do opportunity to make several trees out of that situation...if you wish.

Figs are very easy to propagate using ground layering. First secure a branch to the ground. You can do both of the branches with some separation or only one if you wish. Use a weight like a rock or just use the dirt itself. Then cover the branch with good dirt leaving a few inches of the end of the branch exposed. Then wait until the roots establish keeping the covered area watered like you water the tree. Going into winter it may take three months or more, but it will root and then you can remove from the main tree and plant the rooted branches.

You don't have to do anything but secure and cover with dirt and soon you will have at least two more fig trees available...insurance against losing the main tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you done ground layering with fig trees before? Does it work well?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I never recommend anything I haven't successfully tried. Look around at some places that have fig trees, and you generally will see them naturally propagating themselves through live limbs laying on the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've done it numerous times. I have also done air layering which IMO isn't quite as effective as ground layering. IMO it works extremely well and it is easy. In the OP's position I would use something like a plastic dishpan with holes in the bottom, filled with a good potting soil garden soil 50/50 mix.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok. I have a new fig sappling. Just wondering on a good way to propogate that in the future.

Ask a Question