Growing fig trees from cuttings

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to grow fig trees from cuttings. Should I cut all the leaves off or should I leave a few? They went droopy almost immediately.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure what season you are in there, but I guess you are northern hemisphere and it is Summer. Cuttings are best taken when the tree is dormant in the winter. It might still be worth a try, but leave it some leaves, if the plant doesn't want them it will drop them itself. Give it a good water to start off, then wait until it dries on the surface before re-watering, some put paper in the bottom of the pot to keep it damp.
If it is your tree you might do better this time of year by layering a low branch. Damage a bit of bark slightly, put some rooting hormone on it, bend it to the ground and bury it shallowly, and then put a brick on top to stop it coming up again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure what season you are in there, but I guess you are northern hemisphere and it is Summer. Cuttings are best taken when the tree is dormant in the winter. It might still be worth a try, but leave it some leaves, if the plant doesn't want them it will drop them itself. Give it a good water to start off, then wait until it dries on the surface before re-watering, some put paper in the bottom of the pot to keep it damp.
If it is your tree you might do better this time of year by layering a low branch. Damage a bit of bark slightly, put some rooting hormone on it, bend it to the ground and bury it shallowly, and then put a brick on top to stop it coming up again.
It's summer but the side branches are growing crazy and the ripening fruit is dry and not sweet. Now the top branch is growing, I pruned the side branches a lot and reduced the number of fruit a lot. Hoping for better tasting figs soon! If I can get a couple of these branches to grow would be a plus! I did everything you said, except I dipped it in rooting hormone without damaging the bark.

Ask a Question