Fiddle leaf fig not growing after root rot

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I have a fiddle leaf fig that I got in the beginning of the year and made the mistake of over watering it. It quickly developed root rot. I removed it from the mud it was essentially sitting in, and planted it in dry soil and am now only watering it once every 2 weeks. A lot of the leaves had browned or fallen off, and most of the roots were mush. It's now been 3 months since changing the soil and the leaves stopped falling out and the browning stopped spreading almost immediately, but the plant hasn't grown at all. No new leaves, no change in height. Is it that the plant is still recovering from root rot so many
20210419_170910.jpg
weeks later? Or might something else be wrong?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, it's still recuperating. Rather than timing when you water, check it regularly (like once a week) and water when the top 1" is dry. Ficus do not especially like to dry out thoroughly. They prefer to stay evenly moist. It looks a little dry right now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The plant is still growing new roots. I have found that plants in general will tend to grow roots to fill a pot before growing top growth. Once roots are firmly filling a pot then there is an abundance of top growth. Patience is the name of the game. My Benjamina ficus spent 15 years in the same pot and needed seasonal trimming. Great job saving your plant! These can be incredibly long lived house plants in knowing hands.

Ask a Question