Very Sick Fiddle Leaf Fig (Ficus Lyrata)

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the summer of 2020 I got a great deal on a giant FLF. The leaves had a white coating but was in excellent condition. I know that these trees are very finicky and they do not like to be disturbed. I got a bucket of water and put a few drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid in the water to wipe the leaves off. I sprayed it down to get any excess soap off. Fast forward to a few weeks later... the leaves started to drop. All dropped except what you see in the photo below. I would like some help on how to bring this once awesome tree back from the brink.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20200705_165033.jpg
    20200705_165033.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200705_170028.jpg
    20200705_170028.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210125_155242.jpg
    20210125_155242.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 84
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Your FLF certainly threw quite the tantrum. They are even more temperamental than BF. I’d prune the big boy back to the last leaf on each branch so that he can fit nicely into the center window. Be sure to continue to check for bugs, use nem oil on leaves and trunk and give it encouraging words. Your Benjamin ficus looks a bit sparse so I’m guessing this room doesn’t get as much light as I’d except from so many windows. Keep the FLF as close as possible but not so close that on sunny days it burns. If you keep the blinds closed it will not get enough light. Be patient.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your FLF certainly threw quite the tantrum. They are even more temperamental than BF. I’d prune the big boy back to the last leaf on each branch so that he can fit nicely into the center window. Be sure to continue to check for bugs, use nem oil on leaves and trunk and give it encouraging words. Your Benjamin ficus looks a bit sparse so I’m guessing this room doesn’t get as much light as I’d except from so many windows. Keep the FLF as close as possible but not so close that on sunny days it burns. If you keep the blinds closed it will not get enough light. Be patient.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the info. The Benjamina was picked up road side and was in much worse condition. Ive been working on it for about 2 yrs. As for the FLF I will wait until the spring to trim it back. I might set it on my front porch when the sun isnt too strong. I have a few other FLF that have thrived on my porch.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the info. The Benjamina was picked up road side and was in much worse condition. Ive been working on it for about 2 yrs. As for the FLF I will wait until the spring to trim it back. I might set it on my front porch when the sun isnt too strong. I have a few other FLF that have thrived on my porch.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the info. Sorry about the photos. Others seem to be able to see them. I hope the FLF hangs on until spring so I can on reviving it.

Thx

Ask a Question