Fiddle leaf fig leaves growing direction

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
Hi,
After pruning my fiddle leaf fig (back in November 2020) I left a cut of branch to sit in a water for couple of weeks and roots developed nicely. Plant was all the time really healthy with big healthy leaves. After potting new leaves starts to develope. It took about 2-3 week after putting a plant with newly developed roots into soil that new leaves started to grow. Then I noticed that old leaves began to turn upwards. They still look healthy but the whole outlook of the plant is not as it should be. At a beginning (when I plant it in a soil) the leaves were growing much more horizontaly. This plant is shown on pictures Lyrata 1, 2. Any idea about that? Can I do anything to prevent growing leaves in an upward position?

Picture Lyrata 3 is another plant that I cut of the same mother plant at the same time. They are located next eachother and have the same conditions. This one is growing nicely with leaves spreading out. In comparision with the other one.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• Lyrata1.jpg
    Lyrata1.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Lyrata2.jpg
    Lyrata2.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 61
  • Lyrata3.jpg
    Lyrata3.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 81
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think it is because the first one is from the tip and the second one is from the middle or has been cut back. If you look above the cut, you can see that those leaves point up too. Give it time and they will flatten out too.

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
I think it is because the first one is from the tip and the second one is from the middle or has been cut back. If you look above the cut, you can see that those leaves point up too. Give it time and they will flatten out too.
Exactly. I cut a long branch in two smaller stems. Thefore first one is from the tip in second from the middle. The thing is that this tip one had leaves flat at beginning and they went upwards after I planted it. I don't mind waiting. Hopefully you are right. I was afraid that the reason might be an exposure to a bright sunlight and leaves went upwards to protect themselves.

Ask a Question