Planted Fig tree cutting, one still green all leaves, all others havelost all leaves for winter.. why?

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have planted about 15 fig trees around my property over the last year, all cuttings of one variety. There is one which has grown so much more than the others, and it is also still covered in green leaves that show no sign of dropping its leaves for winter, where as all others have already dropped their leaves for winter long ago.

Is it just a healthier plant? As a cutting I expect genetics are identical, so surely it has to be that.. though I would have thought that all trees would have similar timing for such things...

What is it that prompts the fig to start dropping its leaves come winter? is it daylight hrs? Soil temp? Air temp? Something else?

I cant find the answer anywhere online.. any ideas much appreciated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have planted about 15 fig trees around my property over the last year, all cuttings of one variety. There is one which has grown so much more than the others, and it is also still covered in green leaves that show no sign of dropping its leaves for winter, where as all others have already dropped their leaves for winter long ago.

Is it just a healthier plant? As a cutting I expect genetics are identical, so surely it has to be that.. though I would have thought that all trees would have similar timing for such things...

What is it that prompts the fig to start dropping its leaves come winter? is it daylight hrs? Soil temp? Air temp? Something else?

I cant find the answer anywhere online.. any ideas much appreciated!
Cooler temperatures and shorter days is the reason. This combination reduces auxin hormone levels which cause leaf drop in fall.

Ask a Question