Fave songs from way back when!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I've got all these great songs playing in my head now, thanks Upsy Daisy, I'm loving it :).
We tend to go out to a local restaurant most Saturday evenings and when we come home we utube old music clips. I don't know how to do it and even if I did I'd have trouble wrestling control of the controller:sneaky:. So I just sit back and enjoy. Hot Chocolate is fun. Rod Stewart, Peter Green , Eric Clapton, George Harrison and many more. Country tends to make an appearance quite regularly with Marty Robins, Willie Nelson, even a bit of Dolly and "forgot his name with a beard" singing Sail Away With Me...It's quite a lovely song.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
In the 60s I was influenced by my elder 2 brothers so I was listening to the Beatles, the rolling stones and anything else that was on Top of the Pops.
When I was 15 bought Alice cooper School's out for summer, mainly because i just left school and Silver Machine by Hawkwind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've always said I'll listen to anything as long as it's a good tune and sung well.

From a child I was hearing my mother's and aunt's "big band" 78rpm jazz records from the forties, then in my early teens I got into Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry and other American artists, I wasn't interested in the British "copyists" of the same era. In my mid teens I was listening to British "trad Jazz" and going to jazz clubs in the South London area.
At fifteen I saw Louis Armstrong at the Empire Hall in London. At sixteen I took a girl to see Chris Barber at the RFH when Lonnie Donegan was playing banjo in his band. Then at seventeen I discovered Miles Davis and started listening to him and other jazz musicians of the era, Bill Evans, Charlie Parker, Ben Webster, etc., also the classic singers, Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald. Frank Sinatra, Billy Eckstine, Dinah Washigton etc.
At nineteen I joined Ronnie Scott's first club. But I never "pigeon holed," myself. I still listened to a wide range of music.
In the sixties I embraced Motown and Doo-Wop and into the seventies I bought albums of many singers and groups, Chicago, Earth Wind & Fire, Bread, Fleetwood Mack, Carol King, etc., But I was still buying jazz records. Despite a wide selection, there's no Cliff Richard or Rolling Stones.
Apart fom 45rpm singles for my jukeboxes, I haven't bought a CD for twenty years. Everything is on-line. I've a few thousand MP3s on my laptop a separate hard drive and memory sticks.
But I like the "nostalgia" effect of my jukeboxes with their wide selection of 50/60/70/80s pop. Motown & Soul, Doo-Wop and Jazz standards.
There's something about being able to put a coin in them, make a selection, hear the carousel turning, the record landing on the turntable and hearing the stylus tracking in and experiencing the anticipation before the record starts.

I can have the pretty much the same experience in our front room with a mixture of old and new technology. Of course I can just put a memory stick in the side of my TV and play anything through the sound bar or my vintage hi-fi and speakers, "but it's not the same."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
This is one of my favourite tunes. It was written in 1931.

Made famous by Louis Armstrong.

I've posted videos of the Sant Anderau Jazz Band before.

The "star" is Andrea Motis, who can sing, play trumpet and alto and soprano sax to a highly professional standard. She must be 22 now. Her younger sister Carla plays guitar. She's about eighteen, same age as Rita Payes who plays trombone in this. The second trumpet is Alba Armengou, she's about seventeen.
The difference in personality between the two sisters is very noticeable. Andrea is very outgoing, Carla who has been playing on videos has always preferred to playing rhythm be in the background, never took a solo.

But lately, their mentor and leader Joan Chamorro has been featuring Carla more. She still seems very self conscious and always has a serious expression on her face, but you might get the hint of a smile at the end of a performance.

I thought they played this very well, the two sister particularly, when they duetted together.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There were so many great singers and bands in the 60's and early 70's but something happened. Call me an old fart but you'd better listen to today's music while it is being played today because I can't imagine it being listened to 50 years from now or even 15 years from now for that matter.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
There were so many great singers and bands in the 60's and early 70's but something happened. Call me an old fart but you'd better listen to today's music while it is being played today because I can't imagine it being listened to 50 years from now or even 15 years from now for that matter.
You're right, I don't listen to the music of today. The only ones that i like but not here anymore is George Michael and Queen with Freddy Mercury.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
For me George Michael and Freddie Mercury are "some of the newer fellas."

As contemporary singers, I like these, singing classic songs.

Halie Loren

Jane Monheit

More contemporary?

The late Natalie Cole.

Kelly Rowland (the best singer in Destiny's Child, in my opinion).

She can sing anything.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I've only heard of Natalie Cole.
Now Karen Carpenter can sing anything. When i watch her and her brother I think that they're amazing.

Ask a Question