Fave songs from way back when!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did like Karen Carpenter.

I liked the composition of Natalie Cole's song, the "question and answer" format with the participation of the two female backing singers.
No fancy outfits, just a, "come as you are" effect, but great voices and excellent harmonisation.
Today's artists(?) try to hide their lack of talent with outrageous performances. Look at the singers from the past on Youtube and you'll notice (or not notice) the lack of props. They simply stand in there and sing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I have to admit
s ome of the best pop songs were written around four chords, maybe sometimes with a couple of others bunged into the "middle eight." But there's a finite number of combination of notes which will fit around four chords that sound good or don't sound much like another pop song..
However, many of the enduring pre WWll songs and even some today, were written, melody first, then chords chosen to fit afterwards.

Of the more contemporary composer, Neil Sedaka comes to mind, who was a "melody first, chords later," song writer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I watched a 2009 film on TV the other night called "Northern Lights." I'd watched it a few years ago. One of the main characters was played by Leann Rimes, opposite Eddie Cibrian. She was quite good in it. (She didn't sing).
During the making of the film they had an affair (didn't surprise me, the way they were with each other, when I found out later) while both were married to other people at the time (and he had two kids).

They both got divorced and married each other in 2011. I belive they remain married.

Anyway, I've always liked this song, written by Dianne Warren (look her up she's had an amazing number of familiar hits by top recording stars) . It set a record for staying on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for 69 weeks. She's earned a fortune from recordings, but you don't hear much of her, she's worth tens of millions of dollars..

I can play all my favourite songs. This was on my old leccy piano a few years ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I may have posted this before, or it maay have been on one of the several music messageboards I read and post on. It's an mp3 track I made from an LP I bought as a teenager in 1958.
I put it on YouTube, (lots of positine messages) it amazes me the number of hits a mostly unknow tune, played by a mostly unknown jazz guitarist has got, over 20,000.

The backing comes in after the first chorus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I may have posted this before, or it maay have been on one of the several music messageboards I read and post on. It's an mp3 track I made from an LP I bought as a teenager in 1958.
I put it on YouTube, (lots of positine messages) it amazes me the number of hits a mostly unknow tune, played by a mostly unknown jazz guitarist has got, over 20,000.

The backing comes in after the first chorus.

Is that like a genre' called full note jazz?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I find this tune quite haunting, by the late Grover Washington Jr. It was originally recorded by Peabo Bryson.
Written by John Bettis & Walter Anasieff

He's better known for this.

Ask a Question