Fave songs from way back when!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The Four Freshman were pretty original in that they played their instruments to a professional standard.
And their knowledge of what was possible with close harmony singing still amazes me.

A much underated singer. I admire singers who can hold "long tones" like a professional instrument player.

One for Logan

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Sean, do you notice the difference between the original one that the Carpenters did and the royal Philharmonic orchestra one?, i think that they're the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Too wet to do any gardening today.

But I heard this Jerome Kern song in a 2017 TV film last night which I'd recorded from a few days ago.
It's certainly from, "way back when...1936."

Sometimes a bit of a romantic scene in a film set to a really nice "standard," played by a live band, is enough to make me want to learn to play it, even if I'd never considered it before.

Anyway, there you go.

I've had it a year, but I'm still really impressed with the versitility of my Tyros 5. The choir voices run to dozens and are quite realistic and you can choose different harmonies. I'm using "Haa Boys" as the backing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Due to her developing Parkinson's, we won't be hearing her sing live again, which is a shame. She is still one of my favourite singers.
She could sing anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The Lennon Sisters ~ Que Sera Sera

I do like female trios.
The Lennon Sisters, followed in the footsteps of The Andrews Sisters.

But even before them singing close harmony, there were The Boswell Sisters, in the twenties and early thirties, they dispanded in 1934.

Way ahead of their time. I bought an album of theirs about thirty years ago when I found out about them.

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oslbxm1MA9E

Short documentary

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I do like female trios.
The Lennon Sisters, followed in the footsteps of The Andrews Sisters.

But even before them singing close harmony, there were The Boswell Sisters, in the twenties and early thirties, they dispanded in 1934.

Way ahead of their time. I bought an album of theirs about thirty years ago when I found out about them.

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oslbxm1MA9E

Short documentary

The music of the Boswell Sisters is elegant!

Ask a Question