Fave songs from way back when!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
When I was still at school I took a girl to see Chris Barber's Band at the "Recital Room," at the RFH. (They've long since re-named this small theatre).
Lonnie Donegan played banjo in this band. This was before he left the band he recorded Rock Island Line and became famous.

Monty Sunshine played clarinet in this band. He too left to start his own band in 1960 after the chart success Barber's band had with Monty soloing on this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I forgot to add that the tune was written by Michael Masser and the late Gerry Goffin, Carole King's ex. He wrote a lot of the lyrics to her songs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It is interesting you can go to a hard rock, even heavy metal show and have 60, 70y/o men on stage.
http://reospeedwagon.com/tour/
https://www.zztop.com/tour Frank is 70, Billy 69, Dusty 70

,....no one to retire. All these guys still living glory days. Songs from bygone days still live on stage.
Now that I have retired from nursing the last place I want to be is walking the floor all day in a medical center.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It's a sign of the times. All these guys are used to having a lot of money. Now they get sod-all from investments, so to maintain their sort of lifestyle, they have to keep working, but they can be selective.

the lawnsman

lawn and garden super freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The rolling stones are still good .
and probably some of the few who really don't need the cash now, but still love to play.
the last time I saw them was at the Indianapolis speedway, outdoors on a great summer night, the sound was awesome.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
and probably some of the few who really don't need the cash now, but still love to play.
the last time I saw them was at the Indianapolis speedway, outdoors on a great summer night, the sound was awesome.
That's great, I've seen Cilla black at Coventry sometime before 1979 and the Dooleys at a Worcester club in 1979, both were amazing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Don't think most of them need money. Phil Collins is worth 260mil range. Billy, Dusty and Frank are over 50mil each. Even the poor guys in BOC are multi millionaires. Need for the stage perhaps. Love of the game. Or just can't sit still.

Missed Rush on there last and final tour, would like to catch ZZ Top one more time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Max Steiner was a prolific writer of scores for dozens of classic films, including many of Humphrey Bogart's.

Back in the day, apart from rousing themes in big movies there was also "incidental music," because it was used sparingly and either ceased or became muted when some essential dialogue needed to be hear by the audience, so they knew what was going on.

He was a master of creating the right ambiance. Here's the "love theme" from one of my favourite film noir classics.
This theme was heard whenever Bogart and Bacall were having a scene together once the "attraction" had been introduced.

These days we don't get "incidental music" in films and TV dramas, we hadly even get "background music." What we get a lot of is, "foreground music" that can completely mask the dialogue. It's often used to try to get some "drama," into a bit of lacklustre scripting and acting.

Ask a Question