Dying perennials

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new to upstate SC. Problems with perennials that I bought in spring. These plants came from Home Depot and Lowe's primarily. They bloomed well, but in late summer some fading took place. I assumed that dormancy was setting in. But closer investigation showed that there was no root system to these faded perennials below the ground. Some have faded but the root system remains. Why have I lost the perennials that have vanished? Lungwort and lenten rose have done well. But coreopsis and Columbine are completely gone. Bleeding heart: one is still green, and the other (I think) still has roots but no leaves. My astilbe plants remain very small but still green. I lost foxglove and English daisy. I have shade, heavy in one spot, light elsewhere. Is that the problem? I did not fertilize much because everything was blooming. but maybe fertilize would have strengthened roots and helped them when the season ended. I also bought some perennials late in the season on the clearance rack, and most (but not all) root systems have disappeared. Is the clearance rack a poor choice? I could use help.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Did you water them in dry weather? Did you prepare the ground before planting? If the ground was hard it would have been difficult for them to grow roots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
thank you! yes, I cultivated the ground, mixed in mulch, added compost and a soil enhancement. I may have been slack on watering. I have thought about that. But here in upstate SC we've had much, much rain. still, it's crossed my mind that water could be an issue. but the plants never lacked for blooms, so most of the time I assumed things were moist enough. But I have considered that factor. thank you for your input. I do appreciate it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You're welcome
Maybe it was you let them flower before they got established.
Hmmmm. Not sure about this. I planted them in the spring, and they flowered through the spring and early summer. then they began to fade and finally disappeared. they never established. maybe not enough sun, or maybe I need to fertilize much more than I'm doing. thank you for the comment. I need all the help I can get.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Drainage? My lenten roses live on a slope beside the driveway. Is there clay soil there in your area?
I have checked that. I have clay soil but I cultivated and worked the soil in the bed to prevent the problem you mention. I have done the thing they say to do to see how the drainage is: dig a hole, fill with water, let it drain and fill it again, then see how long it takes for the water to drain. But even so, I still worked the soil, added mulch, compost, soil enhancement, etc. My lenten rose is in the bed that the dying plants are in, and it has done well. I appreciate your input!

Ask a Question