Why is this tree dying and can I save it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I inherited a few of these in my garden, one seems healthy and the other very unhealthy. They get the same amount of water but it looks brutal. Can I save this tree? Is it disease I must deal with? The leaves grew but it did not flower this year, but was fine last year. Please help! Thank you
PXL_20230801_172650977.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you look at one tree you can see the diseased tree is lower than the other. The roots of the diseased tree are damaged from being planted too deep in the ground. Its very important for a tree to have an exposed root flair. If you plant it too deep you will not have the correct gas exchange or water transpiration. If you imagine for a moment if the tree below was 6 inches deeper and you had 6 inches of soil on top of the ground. It would choke the life out of the tree in a few years.

Below is the correct way to plant and grow a tree in the ground.

1691050894296.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you look at the other healthy tree and its has soil on the flair, then you need to remove it with water or an air spade. If you post photos of both tree trunks going into the ground it would be helpful.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I could be wrong but it doesn't look like that tree has any hope left. You could cut it at the base and most likely new shoots will grow out around the side of the stump. Only problem is it will be bushy instead of a nice single tree. I'm not sure what would happen if you cut all the shoots and just let one grow? Any idea if that would work @oneeye ? Another problem would be if it was grafted but it doesn't like like it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I could be wrong but it doesn't look like that tree has any hope left. You could cut it at the base and most likely new shoots will grow out around the side of the stump. Only problem is it will be bushy instead of a nice single tree. I'm not sure what would happen if you cut all the shoots and just let one grow? Any idea if that would work @oneeye ? Another problem would be if it was grafted but it doesn't like like it.
I would just dig up the roots and pull it out of the ground and get rid of it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you look at the other healthy tree and its has soil on the flair, then you need to remove it with water or an air spade. If you post photos of both tree trunks going into the ground it would be helpful.
First pic is healthy tree, second is dying one. I also posted a pic of a tree that is keeping the sick one in the shade, I don't know if that could be related. I also see that the tree did bloom earlier this season but it dried up. Can that happen it just dies in the summer for no reason??? Could I have prevented it? Could it be a disease that could spread and I should be careful??

Attachments

• PXL_20230803_173656223.jpg
    PXL_20230803_173656223.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20230803_173712071.jpg
    PXL_20230803_173712071.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20230803_173717707.jpg
    PXL_20230803_173717707.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230803_173727363.jpg
    PXL_20230803_173727363.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20230803_173833160.jpg
    PXL_20230803_173833160.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Country
Canada
First pic is healthy tree, second is dying one. I also posted a pic of a tree that is keeping the sick one in the shade, I don't know if that could be related. I also see that the tree did bloom earlier this season but it dried up. Can that happen it just dies in the summer for no reason??? Could I have prevented it? Could it be a disease that could spread and I should be careful??
Is that big one towering over it a black walnut tree? They and a few other nut trees like butternut produce a toxin that can harm a lot of other trees and plants. If you soak the black walnut husks in water then dump the water on the ground worms will bubble out of the ground from the toxin. Great for fishing, not so great for a lot of other plants lol.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just took a better look at the big tree, it's not a walnut. Maybe an evergreen. I still think it's the problem though.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Do you think we need ask the neighbors to trim it or is this tree toast anyway?
Some trees have toxins to kill other plants to ensure their survival. A lot of evergreen trees do. Do you know what kind of tree it is exactly? You could ask the neighbors to trim it but they might not be up for it. That little tree you have is toast I would say, I think it's having a slow inevitable death to be honest.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some trees have toxins to kill other plants to ensure their survival. A lot of evergreen trees do. Do you know what kind of tree it is exactly? You could ask the neighbors to trim it but they might not be up for it. That little tree you have is toast I would say, I think it's having a slow inevitable death to be honest.
Juglone is what some trees drop on other trees to stop them from growing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you look at the base of the tree you will see the tree has started to decay where it meets the soil. Your tree is planted too deep in the soil.

Ask a Question