Cherry tree dying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Early in 2022 I planted a cherry tree, which went on to produce amazing fruits as you can see in photo below.
IMG_9850.jpeg

However, this year, the tree grew both upwards and outwards, and green fruits started to show. But the tree suddenly lost all of the fruit, and the leaves started to wilt and turn brown and fall off. I’ve no idea what’s going on. See photos below
IMG_5718.jpeg

IMG_5720.jpeg

I planted another cherry nearby, maybe this is the cause? It’s also not doing well, and many of its green leaves have curled up into little balls. See photos below
IMG_5722.jpeg

If anyone has any thoughts, advice or ideas, I’m all ears.

I’m in aberdeen and we have had a particularly wet summer so far. Maybe this is a factor.

Thanks.
SR

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It looks like there seems to be a lot of water pooling. Cherry trees don't l like their roots in pools of water. I lost 3 cherry trees because of pooling water. The leaves will wilt and eventually yellow. Not sure about the curling did you fertilize recently? Maybe to much nitrogen.

The last pic the leaves look like an they have iron deficancy.

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This time of year I notice the cherry trees around here do that. I don't own one or have grown one it but they are within viewing distance and I've noticed it every year about this time. What is the problem? I don't know. I have seen others cherry trees produce the best crop ever, then produce nothing (dead).

The last pic the leaves look like an they have iron deficancy.

MOD
Yes. 9 out of 10 times the pH is too high and caused by watering with tap water or creek water (high carbonates or total alkalinity).

Ask a Question