English Lavender dying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is my lavender slowly dying? I got it two weeks ago and it’s slowly been turning brown. I’ve been trying to keep it out of the rain even as much as possible but not always able to. Maybe I need to add more sand or stones to the soil for more drainage as I repotted it in a bigger pot

Attachments

• IMG_0772.jpeg
    IMG_0772.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My place is full of lavender here in the ''garden of England'' The plant is not happy indoors, and likes to be outside in the soil, where it should take care of itself quite easily.
As a PS the lavender needs water too and as long as it is grown in an otherwise sunny spot, should be fine in any soil.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My place is full of lavender here in the ''garden of England'' The plant is not happy indoors, and likes to be outside in the soil, where it should take care of itself quite easily.
As a PS the lavender needs water too and as long as it is grown in an otherwise sunny spot, should be fine in any soil.
Thank you! :) yeah I have been watering a little bit. There’s new stems growing so hopefully it’s not dying and should be fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can save this plant. First cut off all the flowers and the tips of the foliage. Hopefully you have put plenty of drainage material in the pot (like crocks in the base, and a grit mix in with the compost/soil). Next water it thoroughly, and let the water run away through the drainage holes. If you MUST leave it in the pot, raise it up onto three suitable blocks to enable drainage.
All plants need water, but some need to be able to drain really easily. In the ground this will look after itself as long as it has sunshine.
If this stays in the pot, you need to apply a heavy watering - but not until it has completely dried out from the last drink.
Cutting the tops off now will help the plant to bush out a bit and that will make a big difference.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1689532402488.png
As a PS, there is absolutely no need to protect this from rain. It hardly affects anything growing in pots, which is why pots need so much extra attention, even in wet weather. Just add as much drainage material as you can.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 98648 As a PS, there is absolutely no need to protect this from rain. It hardly affects anything growing in pots, which is why pots need so much extra attention, even in wet weather. Just add as much drainage material as you can.
Thank you so much! :) I’ve been a bit paranoid with leaving out in the rain and keep moving it in shelter whenever it rains 🤦🏻‍♂️ I’ll do this and see how it goes, I have added grit & sand but don’t think I’ve added enough but I’ll see how it goes

Ask a Question