English Yew (Taxus Baccata)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,

I am interested in getting some English Yew. However I'm not sure how popular the English Yew is in the US.

I saw at my local garden center that they have the taxus baccata reprandas (spreading) and dwarf version.

The type of English Yew I'm looking at is from the ones that are abundant in the UK and famous Powis castle.

Online I've seen different versions and hybrids like the hicksii and i guess there's a standishii.

Anyone here own any type of these plants/trees?
596_powis-castle.jpg
powis-19_rosesmith-shutterstock_websize.jpg

I've attached pictures for reference.

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Taxus baccata. Sometimes called the Church Yard or Grave Yard tree. This is due to it's slow growing and long gevity. Some thirty years or more ago. My friend Robert and I were looking around my tiny garden.

For the first time, I noticed a Yew, obviously the seed had been dropped by a bird, growing too close behind a Philadelphus. Voicing my surprise, I said. Look. There is a Yew tree coming up. Oh I love yew, says Robert. My dry wit intervened. Thanks Robert, I like YOU also.

I should imagine that Taxus will grow in the US. The U.S does have strict laws about importation of plants etc. I am sure that with careful searching, you will find a source of supply.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Taxus baccata grows quite quickly when young, it is long lived. It will take hard pruning, which is why it's used for hedges.
There are a number of different forms available including fastigate (thin straight up and down) and golden forms

Reaction score
Country
United States
Taxus baccata grows quite quickly when young, it is long lived. It will take hard pruning, which is why it's used for hedges.
There are a number of different forms available including fastigate (thin straight up and down) and golden forms

thanks for the reply, do you know the form used at the ones at Powis Castle in Wales (pictures attached in original post)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Those Yew trees are just the standard green Taxus baccata. They will thrive in most soils, preferably neutral PH, but will not tolerate boggy ground as they would be prone to root rot. Well drained loam is ideal. They are super for topiary and hedging as your picture prooves.
Be aware that the berries are poisonous, so best not plant near fish ponds.

Ask a Question