Dying Medinilla magnifica

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hello everyone,
I have had this Medinilla for 4 months and it has been attacked by a fungus recently (perhaps it's powdery mildew, but I'm not sure). The fungus is infesting leaves, creating large, grey spots which increase in size as they age. I spray the plant with tricitonazole once a week, but I have a feeling that it doesn't work.
I've also removed all the infested leaves in order to prevent the disease from spreading, but it has made the plant look very poorly. Do you have any ideas how to revive it?
20230614_190137.jpg

20230614_190147.jpg

20230614_190145.jpg

PS. I'm very concerned about this plant because it has dropped its flower stacks before the flowers opened during early spring. Additionally, it hasn't grown since then.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230614_190145.jpg
    20230614_190145.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would cut the stems back to the leaf node for a better appearance. If you are having problems with a fungus you are keeping the soil and growing environment too wet. Let the soil dry more and watch the humidity and don't let it get too high. Your plant is infected now and will have a fungus when conditions are just right. Once you got a fungus you will always have it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I would cut the stems back to the leaf node for a better appearance. If you are having problems with a fungus you are keeping the soil and growing environment too wet. Let the soil dry more and watch the humidity and don't let it get too high. Your plant is infected now and will have a fungus when conditions are just right. Once you got a fungus you will always have it.
There's no way to get rid of fungus completely? Won't fungicide destroy it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
There's no way to get rid of fungus completely? Won't fungicide destroy it?
Unfortunately, fungicides are designed to be used as preventative and not after a spore bloom. Once the damage is done it can't be reversed. When conditions are right a fungus will thrive repeatedly until the conditions are prevented.

Ask a Question