Calathea dying - need help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I purchased a large Calathea Medallion about six months ago in Lowes (that was my first mistake). Here is how it currently looks:

Calathea medallion.jpg

As you can see, most of its leaves are gone.

The plant came in a self-watering pot with a wick. I always made sure that there was at least some water there (perhaps this was my second mistake).

The plant just kept getting worse and worse, so I re-potted it in a self-made soil mix (perlite, coconut coir, horticultural charcoal, crushed egg shells, regular soil).

Furthermore, I was misting the plant 10+ times each day, but, unfortunately, the plant just kept getting worse and worse. So I purchased an essential oil diffuser to use as a small humidifier and placed it near the plant, but to no avail.

Is there anything else I can try or is my Calathea gone?

P.S. I always used filtered water and the plant was never placed in direct sunlight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They're reeeally picky about their environment. They want lots of humidity and almost constantly moist soil. They don't like dissolved salts in their water, so rainwater or distilled is best.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the reply. Yeah, they are definitely picky.

I will try to increase the humidity around the plant even more. I never watered it with tap water - only filtered (and sometimes distilled) water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your plant has been in the same pot for six months. You have only given it water for all those months. If that was my plant I would very gently tap the plant out of the pot and gently remove some of the outer soil. Then using the same pot add a little new soil and replant the old soil and replant it back in the pot. .

Reaction score
Country
United States
As mentioned in my original post, I re-potted this plant in a different soil/pot. I did this approximately three weeks ago because I was suspecting that the plant was suffering from root rot.

Ask a Question