Is my calathea dying ?

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi everyone !

I am writing from France and looking for tips and advice on helping my calathea stay alive.

I got this gorgeous calathea back in October. It was doing good until about 3 weeks ago. It stay indoor, with no direct sunlight from a north-east facing skylight. It started getting browning on the leave around 2 months ago and the man I bought it from told me it was from too much watering. Which I found a bit surprising since I only watered it around once a week (and sprayed it around 1-2 times a week). I then only watered it every 10 to 14 days. I don't feel like it improved at all. The leaves are now very curved (some are totally shut and bend limply).

The plant is pretty much lackluster right now. I've also noticed that it's spraying out to the sides a lot more. Some leaves feel a bit crusty.

Two weeks ago, I started watering it more regularly (I even took it with me in the shower so it could benefit from the humidity and warmth). I wait until the soil feels dry when I put my finger a knuckle deep. I find that it gets dry in around 4-5 days.

It was repotted only once, the day I bought it, by the man working at the small nursery I bought it from. I really trust this shop as it is quite small and owned by genuine plant lovers. I always trust them to choose the right pot and soil for the plants I buy from them.

Do you have any tips or advice please?? It would be greatly appreciated. (I also feel like this plant looks in better shape in photos than in person haha)

Attachments

• IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2667.jpg
    IMG_2667.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2668.jpg
    IMG_2668.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 173
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome @chafev. :) Calathea's are also known as Prayer plants. The curling leaves are natural and will close up at night, opening again in daylight. I can't see what soil your plant is growing in but it should be potted in compost or peat, not soil. They prefer a shady area and should be watered regularly during the summer months. They also like high humidity so spraying the leaves from time to time will help. It can be fed regularly if you wish.

Ask a Question