Why is my dipladenia dying?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I brought my dipladenia inside last October or so; it had already been probably close to freezing overnight when I brought it in. The leaves fell off and it looked like it went dormant, but I had it beside a window and I guess it revived by February to produce some new growth. After a few weeks of watering it sparingly, I made the mistake of giving it too much water and after that the leaves started turning yellow again. I stopped watering much and the plant seemed to recover.

Then a couple weeks ago, I noticed the leaves were yellowing again. I don't believe I had overwatered it. I had brought it outside one day on a hot day of 80 F and it did drop to around 50 F that night, but this time I also noticed the newest leaves at the ends of the vines were shrivelling up and dying completely. I decided to repot it in case the roots were too wet (I did this last Tuesday). I divided up the roots to do this and one half seemed to die after replanting, but the other greened up nicely. Then suddenly, yesterday and today, the new leaves at the ends of the vines suddenly curled up and just died. I looked more closely and saw some faint webs around the leaves. Could the plant have a problem with spider mites or something else? What should I do to save it?

Attachments

• deadleaves.jpeg
    deadleaves.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 8
  • webs.jpeg
    webs.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
The leaves don't look like they're infested by anything to me. Maybe it is still a bit injured from the overwatering and it needs some time to recover. As summer as approaching in Canada, maybe you can take it outside in the sun by the end of this month and it might thrive again.

Ask a Question