Junipers are dying! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Although I suspect these are too far gone, I'm hoping someone might be able to give us some advice to revive these junipers.

We have about five or six large junipers that act as a nice privacy screen between our property and our neighbors'. They're at least twelve feet tall.

Over the past couple of years, they've started to die from the inside out. We live in Mid-Michigan.

Any advice to revive them or are they too far gone?
PXL_20230423_145009919.MP.jpg
PXL_20230423_145016817.MP.jpg
PXL_20230423_145019831.MP.jpg
PXL_20230423_145026070.MP.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @smiegal :)
They are a disaster aren't they... I wouldn't even try to revive them, I reckon they are too far gone. Mind you, this may not be a total loss. If you were to cut off all the branches and leave the trunks where they are, trim the tops of the bare trunks to desired height, and use them to make either a wired fence or trellis (wooden) you could make a stunning divider with climbing roses, clematis and honeysuckle etc.
That would be an easier job and not quite so devastating. You may even be able to wiggle a few pole beans in as well?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forums @smiegal :)
They are a disaster aren't they... I wouldn't even try to revive them, I reckon they are too far gone. Mind you, this may not be a total loss. If you were to cut off all the branches and leave the trunks where they are, trim the tops of the bare trunks to desired height, and use them to make either a wired fence or trellis (wooden) you could make a stunning divider with climbing roses, clematis and honeysuckle etc.
That would be an easier job and not quite so devastating. You may even be able to wiggle a few pole beans in as well?
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Thanks for the suggestion. I imagine my neighbors will scratch their heads a bit, but I love the idea!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh good. The wildlife will also love the idea I think. Birds, bees and butterflies, and those trees will not grow any more bits, so they will stay good. If you had a shredder, you could make a bit more mulch with the branches maybe, or else have a fire, with a barby and a few tinnies ;)
1682264075698.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
Although I suspect these are too far gone, I'm hoping someone might be able to give us some advice to revive these junipers.

We have about five or six large junipers that act as a nice privacy screen between our property and our neighbors'. They're at least twelve feet tall.

Over the past couple of years, they've started to die from the inside out. We live in Mid-Michigan.

Any advice to revive them or are they too far gone?View attachment 95651View attachment 95652View attachment 95654View attachment 95656
Your plants are infested with bagworms. You can treat them but it looks like it may be a waste of time and too late.

Bagworms are larval insects that devour the small needles of junipers, bald cypress, Italian and Arizona cypress and arborvitae, among many other evergreens. Once stripped, these plants are lethargic about leafing back out again. They show up in late spring (usually mid- to late May or very early June). google

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States

Any advice to revive them or are they too far gone?View attachment 95651View attachment 95652View attachment 95654View attachment 95656
They are too far gone unfortunately.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Or, alternatively, remove all the branches that have no green on them and don’t cut any that do. Feed them with a good all-purpose food, liquids work fastest, and see what comes back. If indeed there is very little left, then remove that one and start over or remove them all and start over.

Ask a Question