Clematis - why do they keep dying?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
For thirteen years I've been buying clematis plants for my garden but they never make it past the first year. To be fair, for most of those 13 years I've neglected them so assumed it was down to me. Although most other things I've planted survive without care.

Last year I planted more and gave them plenty of care. The group 3's have all survived the winter but the group 1's seem to be dead. I have an evergreen armandii that started going brown during the cold snap in December and now 'looks' completely dead. I also have 2 montanas at the bottom of the garden that don't seem to have any signs of life. I tried scratching the bark to see if there's any green but doesn't seem to be.

Neighbours grow them without problem. It's the winter that seems to get them, but they should be hardy enough for my climate.

This time around I planted them in bottomless containers thinking it would give them the best of both worlds. We have fertile clay soil. That could be why the cold got them I guess?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Clay? Go crazy with drainage, and if you have acid clay like mine, line the hole with marble chips or limestone to ensure higher pH. Use a hilling method if need be. Use stone on the south west side to ensure cool roots with stabilized moisture evaporation.

Ask a Question