Help with climbing Clematis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a clematis that goes across the front of our cottage and I would like some advice on a few things if possible.

Firstly, I’m not sure how to prune it as there are so many intertwined branches. I have removed dead leaves but some parts with dead branches I’m not sure how to prune without cutting a bit that may be attached to a living flowering part.

Secondary, the soil wasn’t looking too good so I researched how to improve the soil. I dug out around the root carefully and added some bonemeal. I then used some organic soil improver and filled it back in. I then watered it with some tomorite (diluted as per instructions of 25ml per 5L). All these were recommendations I found online. Since doing this some of the flowers have wilted. Maybe should have left it alone!

Any advice on pruning and the wilting issues is very much appreciated.

Pictures attached.

Thanks
F30F443A-B5B2-4853-9F92-1BC432C6C315.jpeg

Attachments

• F494B8B5-A6E7-42AD-8CA2-AFBD80464B6C.jpeg
    F494B8B5-A6E7-42AD-8CA2-AFBD80464B6C.jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 5FA4028B-73D3-4EC2-830E-67E888BE4E4D.jpeg
    5FA4028B-73D3-4EC2-830E-67E888BE4E4D.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 11
  • B539E9BA-CA25-4829-BE4C-DD0E489156B1.jpeg
    B539E9BA-CA25-4829-BE4C-DD0E489156B1.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't prune the Clematis until it has finished flowering. To prune out the dead branches, follow each one back to where it joins the main stem and cut them there. You may be able to pull them out gently, or failing that follow each stem along cutting a piece out at a time.

Fertilisers should never be added directly to a plant's roots as it is likely to burn them. For the future - sprinkle the bone meal around the base of the plant and water it in. If you are planting new shrubs then mix the bone meal with the soil before back filling the hole. Bone meal promotes growth in plants and Tomorite promotes flowers. Using organic soil improver would probably have similar content to the bonemeal, so wasn't necessary. Unfortunately you've overdosed the Clematis which is why it's wilting. Try giving it a good soaking at the base with water once or twice a week over the next few weeks, as this may help flush some of the fertiliser through the soil.

I use granular blood, fish and bone at the start of the growing season for shrubs and at no other time during the year. When flower buds are appearing that is the time to use Tomorite. With shrubs and climbers I would suggest, maybe once a fortnight or once a month.

To improve the soil compost should be used. Either from a supply you may be producing in the garden or else bought in. An ordinary multi purpose compost is all you will need.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't prune the Clematis until it has finished flowering. To prune out the dead branches, follow each one back to where it joins the main stem and cut them there. You may be able to pull them out gently, or failing that follow each stem along cutting a piece out at a time.

Fertilisers should never be added directly to a plant's roots as it is likely to burn them. For the future - sprinkle the bone meal around the base of the plant and water it in. If you are planting new shrubs then mix the bone meal with the soil before back filling the hole. Bone meal promotes growth in plants and Tomorite promotes flowers. Using organic soil improver would probably have similar content to the bonemeal, so wasn't necessary. Unfortunately you've overdosed the Clematis which is why it's wilting. Try giving it a good soaking at the base with water once or twice a week over the next few weeks, as this may help flush some of the fertiliser through the soil.

I use granular blood, fish and bone at the start of the growing season for shrubs and at no other time during the year. When flower buds are appearing that is the time to use Tomorite. With shrubs and climbers I would suggest, maybe once a fortnight or once a month.

To improve the soil compost should be used. Either from a supply you may be producing in the garden or else bought in. An ordinary multi purpose compost is all you will need.

Thank you! So I follow you, how have I overdosed the clematis; by adding a tomoroite feed or by sprinkling the bone meal too deep?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
So I follow you, how have I overdosed the clematis;

By adding all three fertilisers at the same time it's to much for the system of most plants to cope with. Also by adding different fertilisers at the same time. Different medicines for human beings can be mixed but you can't do that with plants, they are not strong enough to cope with it.

Ask a Question