Help with Identifying Climbers and Trianing a Climbing Rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We moved into our cottage last June so have watched the garden carefully to see what things come up. In the courtyard there are lots of different climbers. I would like to have mainly rose climbing all over the wall. There is already wire there but they have only tied things to it in a fairly basic way. What I wanted advice on is why the rose climber has lots of green on its thorny branches yet from last June until now we have not seen a single rose on it? All the other non-rose climbers have flowered?

I have attached some pictures if people could give some advicwe that would be great. There is also a budding climber and I wondered if anyone could identify it?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Climbers.PNG
    Climbers.PNG
    204.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Roots.jpeg
    Roots.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Rose.jpeg
    Rose.jpeg
    321.6 KB · Views: 19
  • budding 2.PNG
    budding 2.PNG
    60.8 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Country
United States
So when did you last see flowers on your climbing rose? If it was May or June, perhaps it is not a remontant rose. Many species roses and older cultivars only bloom once, usually in late Spring or early Summer.

You may want to consider pruning the rose. This can sometimes encourage additional bloom or at least place the blooming wood in a more advantageous position. There are numerous techniques for this.

For identification, please post a close-up shot of the budding climber, preferably after a few leaves have emerged.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So when did you last see flowers on your climbing rose? If it was May or June, perhaps it is not a remontant rose. Many species roses and older cultivars only bloom once, usually in late Spring or early Summer.

You may want to consider pruning the rose. This can sometimes encourage additional bloom or at least place the blooming wood in a more advantageous position. There are numerous techniques for this.

For identification, please post a close-up shot of the budding climber, preferably after a few leaves have emerged.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. We haven’t ever seen the rose climber flower. We moved into this house mid June last year. Does an established climber like this require any special feeder/watering regime? I will wait a bit for the budding climber to have some leaves then. Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
If you have rejuvenated the rose, nothing should be left sick, and it is good to disinfect the instruments. Because roses have a disease that is very contagious, bacterial canker.

Ask a Question