Help in identifying an Acer Tree(s).

Dos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm new and have not a clue :(

I'll deal with one tree at a time if I may.

The Acer was planted in a pot around 12 years ago and transferred to the garden last year. It’s around 1.5 metre tall with a spread of between 1.5 -2 metres. However, I’ve been told the tree may have reverted back to its root stock?

I’ve attached some pictures if that helps.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 33
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 33

Dos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That appears to be a Japanese Maple. I really can’t say what kind it is. There are dozens of varieties available.

Welcome to the forum.

Indeed it is. And yes, it's the species that I'm trying to establish. My best guess is 'Palmatum Little Princess'. The original tag was lost a decade ago, but as I noted above. I've been told its regressed back to its root stock which I believe is Palmatum ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is the cultivar of your Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum) that you wish to determine. From what I can see of the graft in your first picture it doesn't look like the rootstock overtook the scion, but please post more pics of the graft union if you think otherwise.

The cultivar 'Little Princess' does look like a possible match, but be conservative with any identification. For in truth, there are many hundreds if not thousands of cultivars of Acer palmatum. Of course not all of them are common or even available in all markets.

Dos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is the cultivar of your Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum) that you wish to determine. From what I can see of the graft in your first picture it doesn't look like the rootstock overtook the scion, but please post more pics of the graft union if you think otherwise.

The cultivar 'Little Princess' does look like a possible match, but be conservative with any identification. For in truth, there are many hundreds if not thousands of cultivars of Acer palmatum. Of course not all of them are common or even available in all markets.

I hope the attached photo is of help. :)

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 30

Dos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been informed that it was an 'autoperperitum dissectum' when bought (trying to find some photos that show the leafs, but am away from home). Then at some point it changed to its current state.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Probably, Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum Dissectum', which can be either a cultivar or a descriptive term for any red-purple-leaved, threadleaf Japanese Maple.

Then perhaps the scion was lost long ago when the tree was very small... or perhaps, the entire tree was replaced at some point.

Dos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I mixed up one of three Acers. The one in this thread was sited next to a willow, I remember the slim purple leaf's, then we noticed one branch started to obtain/grow? the leaf's shown in the pics; eventually, the complete tree changed. I should have asked what are the common root stock varieties of Palmatum used for grafting onto.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Japanese Maple cultivars are grafted onto unnamed seedlings of the same species. Such seedlings are usually full-sized trees with typical, wild-type green leaves.

Ask a Question