Help in identifying what has invaded my kumquat tree

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello everyone,

this morning I noticed some kind of white fluff plus several weird small creatures on the underside of my little kumquat tree. I have had the tree (which has been growing, flowering and producing fruit steadily) for about a year and am keeping it in my very sunny and (due to the Spanish weather currently very hot) winter garden. I have never seen anything like this before and am sure that this wasn't there about a week ago. None of my other plants seem to have similar issues (so far). If anyone has any ideas what this is and how I could get rid of this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

20210812_172040.jpg
20210812_172002.jpg
20210812_171950.jpg

Attachments

• 20210812_172040.jpg
    20210812_172040.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 15
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

this morning I noticed some kind of white fluff plus several weird small creatures on the underside of my little kumquat tree. I have had the tree (which has been growing, flowering and producing fruit steadily) for about a year and am keeping it in my very sunny and (due to the Spanish weather currently very hot) winter garden. I have never seen anything like this before and am sure that this wasn't there about a week ago. None of my other plants seem to have similar issues (so far). If anyone has any ideas what this is and how I could get rid of this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

View attachment 84186View attachment 84187View attachment 84188
What you have are mealybugs, a type of scale insect. These bugs will, in time, form a waxy coating on their bodies and adhere themselves to the plant. They are a damaging bug so eliminate them ASAP buy either dabbing them individually with rubbing alcohol or by spray with insecticidal soap, Neem Oil or horticultural oil.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello,
I just joined this website but may I recommend you try some beneficial predatory insects to fight this mealybug? Such as cryptolaemus, harmonia or similar ladybug, lacewings ... Things like that. They will be a natural alternative to sprays. Hope this helps.

Ask a Question