Help with pruning an orange tree

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and happy to join you.

I have an orange tree. About 1.5 m tall. I don't know the size of the pot. I need to mesure it. It stayed outside all winter but maybe didn't get so much water. However there is a lot of new growth and some flower buts. I gave some 10-10-10 fertilizer and some other extras.

On the pictures you can see that there are some yellow leafs.

I was wondering if the tree is too big in relation to the pot?
Do I need to prune it more?

I tested the soil but I think it is around pH 7 which is a bit high. But I have doubts about the way I test. It's not so easy with the paper strips.
Do you have any recommendations to lower pH?
I heard it is possible to lower watering pH with a spoon of vinegar. Will that really help?

A lot of questions

Have a nice evening
Guido

Attachments

• IMG_20220403_190401.jpg
    IMG_20220403_190401.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220403_190350.jpg
    IMG_20220403_190350.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those yellow leaves are from a nutrient deficiency but since you fertilized the plant it will grow out of it. I would definitely repot into a larger container with plenty of drainage. If you prune do it judiciously. You can lower soil Ph naturally by adding compost and/or composted manures, coffee grounds, garden sulfur and peat moss. Adding vinegar works but it is iffy as to how much to use and it doesn't last very long. I wouldn't use it on an orange tree. Something slow acting is much better and a Ph of 7 isn't all that bad for citrus.

Reaction score
Country
France
Those yellow leaves are from a nutrient deficiency but since you fertilized the plant it will grow out of it. I would definitely repot into a larger container with plenty of drainage. If you prune do it judiciously. You can lower soil Ph naturally by adding compost and/or composted manures, coffee grounds, garden sulfur and peat moss. Adding vinegar works but it is iffy as to how much to use and it doesn't last very long. I wouldn't use it on an orange tree. Something slow acting is much better and a Ph of 7 isn't all that bad for citrus.

Thank you Chuck for your help.
Do think I can still repot it now that we are going into spring and my orange tree will start to flower?

Ask a Question