Why is there no growth on the lower part of my clematis?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping someone can help.

I planted clematis lemon dream last year (macropetala, group 1 I believe) and it did fine. This year it's only produced new growth from where the old growth left off - in other words, the lower parts of the stems are completely bare.

I really don't know what to do in order to get growth across the whole plant - any suggestions?

Thanks
: )

IMG_20210527_104401.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Clematis comprise more than 200 species. These are classified into three groups, each group having it's particular growing habits. Group one, of which your plant belongs, flowers on the previous years shoots. To me. That suggests encouraging plenty of lower growth. Your photo shows that the original couple of shoots have been left to go their own way. Bit of a puzzler, but some of the higher growth can ve untied, bent down and used to fill the trellis, then shorten other growth to encourage new shoots. IMO it may take a couple of seasons to achieve what you want. An additional plant or two could be introduced along the trellis. In general I consider this species to be one requiring constant pruning. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Also, I like the idea of having Multiple plants for one more reason, that being such a feature should well supported with backup plants should one of them decide to exit unexpectedly. Seeds will soon come, perhap you can germinate some of them for this purpose and keep them cut back at to force new into the areas you wish to have covered.

Ask a Question