Renovate an old Clematis Montana.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very old Clematis Montana growing against a fence which has flowered profusely every year for many years and I have only pruned it to keep it in shape but over the years a dense mass of what appears to be dead growth has built up behind the flowering front. This year there are fewer flowers growing near the bottom.
I wondered if I could remove some of the dense mass growth but I am bothered it might damage the shrub to a degree that will destroy its flowering in the spring.
Could anyone give me any idea where to start and how far to go to renovate it please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hard pruning freaks me out, but they are hardy growers so without pictures I would have to say I could imagine myself fertilizing it as it begins to bloom, and starting a prune after the flowers fall and the new growth spurt hits. I would be thinking that new growth would be the flowers next spring so in my imagination I would want as much growing season post prune as possible for a well fed plant. I would want the base to have at least 3 or 4 stems or more if possible so I might consider a hard prune on one to 18-24 inches every year to rejuvenate the base flowers. The branching I would cut back to just above the last buds. I would feel for dead wood and take that out first if I could just to see what I was working with, and after the pruning I would fertilize it again. I am in zone 8 so we do not grow those here, so please throw grains of salt on my advice before you take it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Brian. :)

You can prune a Montana quite heavily but it's best to wait until it's finished flowering. Feeding it with blood, fish and bone will help it to produce new growth. If you want to risk cutting into some of the older growth, there's every possibility it will produce new shoots from it's established roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hello Both. Thanks for the replies. I wondered if the attached photo would give a better idea than my description of the problem.
I do not see a photo. The file size is important on this site, something like 1 megabyte or less or like the old 1280 by 768 vga screen sizes seems to be a limit. There are photo resizers out there or wash them through a message or txt app back to yourself and they usually size down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
If you double click on the image it will bring up a drop down box, click on edit and that will take you to an area where you can reduce the size.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I forgot to post the picture. See attached.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I notice the image is showing reduced in width but double clicking the DSC shows a better, larger image. Would I be right then in assuming that after flowering I could just cut back the majority of what looks as if it is dead but leaving most of the main stems (but trying to follow both your posts}?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
When the image is first displayed you will see the word 'insert' in the top left corner. If you click on that it gives you the opportunity to choose full image.

Yes, you can cut back anything that looks dead leaving the main stems. As you get nearer the base of the Clematis it would be worthwhile scratching the bark slightly on the stems to check they are green underneath and still alive.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the image is first displayed you will see the word 'insert' in the top left corner. If you click on that it gives you the opportunity to choose full image.

Yes, you can cut back anything that looks dead leaving the main stems. As you get nearer the base of the Clematis it would be worthwhile scratching the bark slightly on the stems to check they are green underneath and still alive.

Ask a Question