Dwarf banana leaf has brown color

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm wondering if someone can tell me whether this is normal or not. I'm seeing some brown spots on one of HarryB's leaves. Yes, I name my plants...

• They are not bumpy,
  • Underneath the leaf is still green.
  • It seems to get new leaves every 7 days or so. You can see a new one is already coming out.
  • Because I now work from home, I move it around all windows following the sun so it gets plenty of sun.
  • When not sun-tanning, it is sitting under an LED grow light, so no heat from that.
  • I have stones underneath with some water to increase humidity and my house is not dry to start off with.
  • It's never been outside. None of my plants were ever outside.
  • I did water it banana water a couple of times (let the banana peels sit submerged in water for 3 days)

IMG_2404.jpg

Thanks
Alex

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bananas will grow in most soils, but to thrive, they should be planted in a rich, well-drained soil. They prefer an acid soil with a pH between 5.5 and 6.5. The banana peel tea has a 7 pH and used with Tap water, it can raise the pH over time. So don't put any on your plant at this time. When the new leaves sprout lime green to yellow it can be the start of iron lock-out due to the raise in pH. Iron is not soluble or available with a pH of 7 or higher. All of that being said, I would recommend you use only RO or Rain water when you water. The Tap water alone has a high pH as well, and will cause your problem to be worse. If you can't get Rain or RO then buy distilled to water with.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Feed back:

I came across an article that does say these spots are normal for a Dwarf Cavendish when it's young and they will go away as the plant matures. I also noticed some pictures on the web also have these blotches. I also measured the pH levels and they are normal, but will keep an eye on it.

Ask a Question