Semi dwarf Apple tree spacing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I bought another tree. Would they be too cramped if I put it in the middle of these. They are about 16ft apart.

Attachments

• 4D9BEAE8-ACF9-47BB-B888-54A7641994C7.jpeg
    4D9BEAE8-ACF9-47BB-B888-54A7641994C7.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 332
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Apples can have really dense shade so I want to point out grass really struggle under them when grown. Three together and I think the word "ground cover" might come into your lawn vocabulary after some time. Some trees, like some cherry, have a looser habit and leave a dappled shade that allows at least some sun for grass. Is that a sun loving grass? Neat dog statue btw..very realistic!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen apple tree branches tied to a 2 or 3 horizontal lines in my trip to Tatton Park. This way, you can encourage the branches to go side ways rather than upwards. Yes, consult the spread and you can trim accordingly. But using horizontal zipwire can increase the yield dramatically and concentrate the trees' effort to fruit!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Chuck has said that the height and spread is around 14ft, that's 7ft either side of the trunk. So yes, they should be okay. :)
I understand. And there are a lot of apples and I do not have the one OP mentioned. But here is a pic of similar trees at my SIL's place I am visiting today. They are not big trees. They are not wide trees. They are trees, and they are close together. She did a 5 point planting and really it would be so cool to do something in the middle, even her firepit, and it is so nice at high noon in the shade underneath. You can see the angle of the sun in the grass growth.

Edit:
And one really important detail generally is that I am visiting a place more northerly than I usually think. In otherwords, the more northerly the more the sun angle which slides under the canopy to feed energy to a grass where my south central Alabama location has a different sun angle and of course that subtlety changes a lot of things that I have become accustomed to considering normal as well.
IMG_20180831_175659.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question