dwarf orange tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
i decided this year to give a try at gardening. we have had clay soil so i am doing dwarf citrus trees in pots. i planted the orange in jan it has a lot of leaf growth but only 2 flowers first year so i think thats ok. the kishu has a ton of flowers over 40 lots of growth that one is doing very well. my question is on the dwarf orange under the grafting there was one branch growing it had some huge thorns. looks like that was growing from the root base not the grafted orange i went ahead and cut it off. was talking to a friend and he is telling me i should not have cut that branch off. sorry for the newb question but should i have cut it off or not? its in a 10 gallon pot and i am in sacramento ca zone 9b if that helps. my next plan is a raised garden bed using square foot gardening for some veggies. i kind of want to see how these trees will do first this year. thank you for your time.

Attachments

• orange.jpg
    orange.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 228
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
i decided this year to give a try at gardening. we have had clay soil so i am doing dwarf citrus trees in pots. i planted the orange in jan it has a lot of leaf growth but only 2 flowers first year so i think thats ok. the kishu has a ton of flowers over 40 lots of growth that one is doing very well. my question is on the dwarf orange under the grafting there was one branch growing it had some huge thorns. looks like that was growing from the root base not the grafted orange i went ahead and cut it off. was talking to a friend and he is telling me i should not have cut that branch off. sorry for the newb question but should i have cut it off or not? its in a 10 gallon pot and i am in sacramento ca zone 9b if that helps. my next plan is a raised garden bed using square foot gardening for some veggies. i kind of want to see how these trees will do first this year. thank you for your time.
Yes, you should have cut it off. Cut off everything below the graft on all trees. If you don't it will eventually kill the graft.

Ask a Question