Magnolia dwarf light issue?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
The landscape company we hired to do our landscape put these in the location where there is very little direct sunlight. I believe it was a mistake and the reason they are not thriving. Should they be moved or will they live but not bloom or grow?

If we move them what would be a good plant to replace them with?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
The landscape company we hired to do our landscape put these in the location where there is very little direct sunlight. I believe it was a mistake and the reason they are not thriving. Should they be moved or will they live but not bloom or grow?

If we move them what would be a good plant to replace them with?

View attachment 51745
Yes they should be moved, they will eventually die if left. You could try ferns to plant there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Yes they should be moved, they will eventually die if left. You could try ferns to plant there.
Thanks. I appreciate your response to the question. But don't ferns require a lot of water? Not sure what those tall plants are but they were put in in response to our request for plants with low water requirements. I'm afraid ferns might need more water than the the metered amount this bed is getting..

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have you discussed with the landscape company? I'd look to replace with something similar to the other plants they put in, but first get a positive id.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks. I appreciate your response to the question. But don't ferns require a lot of water? Not sure what those tall plants are but they were put in in response to our request for plants with low water requirements. I'm afraid ferns might need more water than the the metered amount this bed is getting..
Only to get them established, water twice a week and put in a lot of humus when planting. They're a woodland plant, I've got them growing in cracks in the pavement. Look online to see what varieties you can grow.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Seriously, this is under a stair well position. Oh my. move those things. How does anything even get water. To be honest I would not put any plants in that area. What I would do however, as your walls are stark white, is go out and buy a whimsical colorful objects/statues etc. and collect them along that area. Something when you walk by will bring smiles to you. I sure if you scour even garage sales you might locate something interesting, and spray paint it up for yourself to save money.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Have you discussed with the landscape company? I'd look to replace with something similar to the other plants they put in, but first get a positive id.
We fired the landscape company. We are working on IDing those plants and plan to move them and find something that will thrive there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @mikecox .... I only just noticed this thread :shy:
How about investing in a few ornamental grasses. You could achieve a lot of colour with different ones there. There are some that are quite happy with a more shaded area - Like Imperata Rubra (red) , Stipa tenuissima (white and fluffy) , Festuca glauca (blue) and Hakonechloa All Gold - for example. Anemanthele is another one that is happy in that kind of situation. It seeds itself very well, and is one of my favourite varieties.
I find that grasses give a lot for little effort and make a super backdrop for other plants as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hello @mikecox .... I only just noticed this thread :shy:
How about investing in a few ornamental grasses. You could achieve a lot of colour with different ones there. There are some that are quite happy with a more shaded area - Like Imperata Rubra (red) , Stipa tenuissima (white and fluffy) , Festuca glauca (blue) and Hakonechloa All Gold - for example. Anemanthele is another one that is happy in that kind of situation. It seeds itself very well, and is one of my favourite varieties.
I find that grasses give a lot for little effort and make a super backdrop for other plants as well.
Thanks for that list of options for me to consider. I will Google each of them and take a look.

Ask a Question