Drainage problem in a large planter

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hello everyone,
In order to plant a lemon tree, I bought a large planter. It is a 46 liters planter (~10 gallons). The thing is that its drainage holes are "elevated" and I am afraid that it won't drain the excess water properly. Do I need to to something about that? Such as filling it with pebbles or something? Or can I just use it as is? I uploaded two pictures so that you can understand it more clearly.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If you have a drill you could drill one or two 3/4" holes in the bottom and put mesh screen down cut to fit the bottom. I've done that before and it works good. Or just drill small holes with whatever size. But I agree it doesn't look like ideal drainage. Depends also if you are keeping it inside or outside and how large the tree is, how much water it will soak up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, you are right to worry, and drilling some holes as pepper says is the right way to go. I would also raise the whole pot off the ground with three bricks (or similar) and put broken crocks or stones in the base before filling with compost.

Ask a Question