Black-Eyed Susans being stunted by poor drainage?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi Everyone... I think I'm starting to see a recurring issue in one of our flowerbeds. Our house is on a corner and the flowerbed in question runs diagonally across the corner between the two streets. In 2015-2016 I saw Montauk Daisies that had been here for years gradually dwindle down to nothing, and I noticed the problem starting on the LEFT side. In recent years I've noticed that the street drainage on that side has gotten progressively worse, with heavy rainwater staying at curb level for a few hours after a storm. Now last Fall I planted two new identical batches of Black-Eyed Susans in this flowerbed, one on each side. Fast-forward to this Summer, and the ones on the left side look quite stunted compared to those on the right side. So, am I basically dooming flowers like these that don't like "wet feet" or "soggy bottoms" from soil that doesn't drain well, by planting them here?

blackeyed-susans.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think they look good. Smaller than the right side, but they may expand next year. Black-eyed Susans are relatively good at growing in many soil types, especially Rudbeckia fulgida cultivars, which is what I assume you have. I have them in clay in my front yard. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think they look good. Smaller than the right side, but they may expand next year. Black-eyed Susans are relatively good at growing in many soil types, especially Rudbeckia fulgida cultivars, which is what I assume you have. I have them in clay in my front yard. I wouldn't be too concerned.
Thanks JB, I hope you're right!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
UPDATE (feeling a bit ignorant here) - I just discovered that the tall spray sprinkler nozzle in the center of that flowerbed is now being covered by a suddenly-huge hydrangea right in front of it, and the water isn't even reaching the left side. I just had it on for 20 min and the dirt around that Rudbeckia is BONE dry! So, time to break out the watering can! :-/

Ask a Question