Drainage pipe installation

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I have to put a rain drainage pipe (from the sump pump outlet) ... could you please advise

1) how deep should I go
2) type of pipe should I use
3) where should I let the water exit

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Your county has a building inspector office at the city hall. Start with a conversation, like which international or national or state rules do they use to inspect plumbing? That may lead to other answers.

You seem challenged in mechanical understanding and what I fear will happen is you will allow the lines to be shallow and to freeze while the house heat thaws water, and they either flood yourself or cause a black mold toxicity issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Look up you local building codes. Even if you do it yourself, you may need a permit and have it inspected. I'm assuming the sump pump is in your basement or otherwise relate to a dwelling, not just in the yard for something. If you don't do it right per code you risk some nasty consequences. You don't want water backing up and flooding or seeping under you foundations, etc. You may eed to install a back flow preventer. Depending on the local codes and purpose for the pump, it may need to be connected to sewer or surface water drain lines. Something like this is not worth the risk of trying to circumvent codes to do it on the cheap. At the very least, I would get a couple of contractors to look at it and give you estimates and have them tell you exactly how they would do it and why.

Ask a Question