Landscaping a drainage ditch

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking for some ideas on landscaping this drainage ditch. Currently I push mow the whole thing every week and it's right in our front yard so I'd like it to look good. I'd rather not fill it in with a culvert because that would be cost prohibitive. I'm looking for some ideas on what to do to make it less maintenance and look better.

Attachments

• 20190604_201156.jpg
    20190604_201156.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 408
  • 20190604_201217.jpg
    20190604_201217.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 250
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, it runs right through the front yard under the driveway with a two foot culvert. The ditch has a steady small stream of water pretty much all year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Do you ever get a large amount of water thru it when it rains? We have these ditches in our neighborhood and some can become small rivers with storms.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We look for neighborhoods with good drainage. Not all can take a flash down pour!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It’s not a bad looking ditch .
The grass makes it look nice , if anything a tractor with a grader blade trying to straighten and smooth it out .
Would look good

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
A nice little ornamental bridge / walkway over it might take away some of the utility look. Also a little fishing statue could add some levity. Neither of these options would affect the function of the stream.
2B7DE4A0-AB8B-4F15-AA5A-F4AC1235833A.jpeg

I found this bridge on Craigslist. It took 4 of us to get it loaded on the trailer but it added a nice touch to the drainage ditch.

Last edited:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'd rather not fill it in with a culvert because that would be cost prohibitive.

:ROFLMAO: I think this is the first time I've ever wanted to tell someone - "I wish your yard wasn't so big!"

What if you built a fake river using rocks? It would still let the water flow, and you could take advantage of those curves I see in the first picture. Something like this -

1560262319402.png

1560262351671.png

Now, the cost prohibitive part. You're going to have to go rock collecting. (Wish I knew what part of the country you live in!!) Where I live, it's mostly farmland. I drive 18 miles to work, and I pass four large piles of rocks that the farmers have removed from their fields. (Two of those piles are as big as my car!!) I have friends that have permission to walk some of the fields looking for arrowheads; I'm sure you could get permission to collect rocks! They want rid of those rocks!! (y)

You could look for free rocks on Craigslist or Freecycle. Or put out your own ad asking for free rocks!

Anytime you see new buildings going up, you can ask if they have rocks they want hauled away. (It might be beneficial to call construction companies and ask beforehand.) You could also place calls to whatever government department handles road construction. :unsure:

Ask a Question