Advice on stock tank drainage

jax

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been testing my soil for water saturation, due to the yellowing on some of my vegetables and my soil seems to consistently be too wet. I have roughly 20, inch sized holes on each of my stock tanks.
Stock tanks are directly on the ground, they are 2ftx2ftx6ft. Should I drill more holes on the sides of the tanks to provide better drainage?
Thanks in advance!
RDT_20230430_1731207510714712149422032.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
They are attractive so I would not. Any problem getting them up on feet? If you do not have a drainage layer in there and your holes plug up you will empty them anyway. If I were desperate, I would drill straight down on either end and the middle and run a perforated grey pvc conduit pipe that had some kind of screen or sock on it for this season.

jax

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea no drainage layer. First time doing a stock tank, and missed that somehow.

I would raise them up, but Ive held off because there is about 3/4 ton of soil in there...I'd do it as a last resort if it means my vegetables survive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That'd work until these bad boys are massive. I may just have to dig these out...

I got these 2ft deep tanks for $43 each on clearance, I would have gotten the 1ft ones if they weren't $129 each.
Can you use some sort of a jack and some wedges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A longish lever and a bit of 4x4 as a fulcrum. Cut a hole with a spade under one end for the lever and slip a piece of timber under it whilst it is lifted, then do the same the other end. Something with a bit of width, like a scaffold plank, would stop it tipping sideways. "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum to balance it on and I will move the Earth", or at least 3/4 of a ton of it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That'd work until these bad boys are massive. I may just have to dig these out...

I got these 2ft deep tanks for $43 each on clearance, I would have gotten the 1ft ones if they weren't $129 each.
I didn't mean just a lid on the tanks but rather something supported above. Like a mini pavilion. Let's sun, wind and bugs in but sheds rain off to the side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
how desperate are you and do you have a wet-dry shop vac?

Drive a section of something like 4" PVC vertically down to the bottom of the tank and remove the soil from that. Use that stand pipe like a sump well and vac out any standing water that accumulates.

Long term Dirt Mechanic is right. You'll be removing the soil and adding a drain layer.

Ask a Question