New forum member - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United States
In Baton Rouge, I have in my front yard a crown of ligustrum with a hedge of azaleas underneath. My ligustrums are in sad shape. Half of them are mostly dead, and all of them have ball moss on them. Wife claims that if we fertilize the ligustrums, they'll not only revive, but also shake off the ball moss on their own. I'm skeptical.

So the question I need advice on is: Should we cut the ligustrums and leave the azaleas? Cut both the ligustrums and azaleas to the roots and just mow the area instead? Should we try to revive the ligustrums, and if so, how?

Thanks - Boomzilla

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Well I think all I can say is "Welcome to the forum".

Sorry I can't help though, never heard of a ligustrum, must be a plant that would die in my winter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ligustrum is simply plain old privet hedging. It is tough, hardy, and makes a good hedge which is easy to cut and even shape.
I think the best bet is to hard prune this now, as new growth should come from the nodes near the base, and make a new hedge that is well worth having. I also think your wife is right about feeding and watering your hedge. Fork around and add some organic feed, and make sure it has sufficient watering. As the temperatures improve you should see nice new growth. Don't forget to let us know how you get on, and if you have any more questions, just ask :)
Welcome to the forums.
PS. If you are certain some plants are totally lifeless, it is very easy to use live bits you cut off to stick in the ground as new cuttings. They root easily, and just need a drink from time to time.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Howdy. A picture would help enable a better input. Sneezy bloom ligustrum are tough dudes. The azaleas are best trimmed after the bloom which should be now.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:ROFLMAO: So much easier for our friend to understand when written in the American language! Sneezy bloom indeed!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Ha, privet, yeah that thing.

I had a 10 m long privet hedge at my last house. Hated the amount of pruning it required.

Year 1 - pruned the whole thing from 2 meter tall to less than knee high
Year 3+ - prune 1/3 of the branches down to knee high or less after the snow was gone but before it leafed out then trim the whole thing to about 1.5 m high.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1682182969314.png
Privet hedges are very popular here.

Ask a Question