New to the forum page. Need help with avocado.

Reaction score
Country
United States
FCA02EB1-6C24-433A-8E89-7064A77CEAFE.png
My avocado has been having these spots show up and I don’t knowhow to get my plant healthy. I’ve seen photos of spots and it says that it’s a fungus but I feel like the spots on the photos are different than the spots on my avocado. Can someone please help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your plant is very stressed and when a plant is stressed many things can happen to it. Your plant is starving as evidenced by its color. An avocado is supposed to be a dark glossy green and not a pale sickly yellow. Feed your plant with a good liquid fertilizer such as Medina Hasta Grow while it is in a container and when in the ground a granular fertilizer such as Medina Grow N Green. As far as fungal disease are concerned there are quite a few different diseases and they show differently. Do you know the variety of avocado it is? If the avocado fruit you planted the seed from had a textured skin you will never get any fruit from it and it will probably die of cold temperatures, even in Houston. If the fruit you planted from had a smooth skin it probably will produce fruit as the smooth skinned varieties are cold hardy down to about 22F. Some of the varieties of cold hardy avocados are Poncho, Opal, Fantastic and Wilma. There are others but I can't remember them. Anyway, feed your plant and get it to its correct color and its strength back before trying to cure a disease. It will probably cure itself anyway.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No I do not know the variety of the avocado. I don’t think it will bear fruit. It’s an avocado from the grocery store. It’s a hass avocado. im not sure if that’s the variety. I attached photos of the vegetable food that I have here at home. Will this work or should I change plant foods? Thank you so much for the help!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No I do not know the variety of the avocado. I don’t think it will bear fruit. It’s an avocado from the grocery store. It’s a hass avocado. im not sure if that’s the variety. I attached photos of the vegetable food that I have here at home. Will this work or should I change plant foods? Thank you so much for the help!!!
A hass avocado will not produce in Houston nor will it survive outdoors. The fertilizer you are using is a high nitrogen fertilizer and young avocados do not like a high content fertilizer of any kind whether it be nitrogen, phosphorus or potassium. They prefer small amounts of low content fertilizers. You can use the stuff you have but greatly reduce the amount mixed. I would use about 1/3rd of the recommended amount and use it every 2 weeks. Please send a picture of the plant showing the container and the shape of the tree from a side view. This will not be a quick process of getting the tree back in health.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So should I put this plant inside? I currently have it outside where it gets about 6-8 hours morning sun. I don’t have morning sun inside my home. I live in an apartment where out patio and large widow only get afternoon sun

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So should I put this plant inside? I currently have it outside where it gets about 6-8 hours morning sun. I don’t have morning sun inside my home. I live in an apartment where out patio and large widow only get afternoon sun
No, keep it outside until the temperatures drop to about 55F and then bring it inside and put it under grow lights. The plant is extremely leggy which shows it is not getting enough sunlight. Also, the browning of the leaf tips and margins show that it is getting too much water

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey chuck… I just lifted my pot to see if the bottom drainage hole looked ok and found a bunch of ants calling my avocado home. How much of a concern is this and what steps should I take?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey chuck… I just lifted my pot to see if the bottom drainage hole looked ok and found a bunch of ants calling my avocado home. How much of a concern is this and what steps should I take?
I presume you have fire ants. Ants themselves don't directly harm a plants root system but, when they colonize around the roots they make the soil drier and over a period of time will make an underground semi-water barrier. Ants need a little moisture in their habitat but in a plant growth situation this is too much water for them. You can make a spinosad soil drench and saturate the soil and this will kill all of them. Your pot is too small and doesn't have enough drainage holes

Ask a Question