Dracaena Drama

Reaction score
Country
United States
SOS! Hoping someone can help me work out what's wrong with my dracaena. The tips of the bottommost leaves have been turning yellow and then brown for months. Also noticing some ominous looking brown spots and discoloration on the main part of a few leaves. Not sure what's wrong! I started using filtered water (instead of tap) a few months ago and that seems to have helped, but the symptoms continue. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2636.jpg
    IMG_2636.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2637.jpg
    IMG_2637.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2639.jpg
    IMG_2639.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2640.jpg
    IMG_2640.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Country
United States
Often minor leaf blemishes develop on otherwise healthy plants, especially on older leaves, which would be the bottom-most on Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana'. Though some leaf senescence is unavoidable, the situation can be aggravated by both poor culture and pathogen infection. Keeping irrigation within bounds that will prevent both underwatering and overwatering can help reduce this phenomenon. Also the yellow edges of the leaf blemishes, might suggest that your plant has a leaf spot infection, but even such infections can be abated by improved care. Yes, sometimes water chemistry such as 'hard' water can affect a plants growth.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with @Marck. I would probably get a soil test to confirm because it would suck to go to the trouble to treat a plant for a possible disease only to find out that it was some sort of deficiency. I would recommend that you look into ordering a soil test and how you treat leaf spot infections. This way, you could help your plant whatever it was. You should order the soil test off amazon or buy it in-person so you can have it quickly, then use it to help with the process of elimination.
No Deficiencies, pH imbalance, etc. = treat for what Marck is talking about
Deficiencies, pH imbalance, etc. = treat the soil problem, then look into what Marck is talking about.

Ask a Question