Please help, my dracaena marginata is and has been getting black spots

Reaction score
Country
United States
My indoor plant which I adore is getting black spots on the leaves. You can scrape them off. I feel that it most likely has to do with a bug, but I couldn't find anything online. I gently scraped off most of the black spots but left some in hoping for some help/answers. If anyone knows how to help this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Attachments

• IMG_20190531_203731702.jpg
    IMG_20190531_203731702.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,689
  • IMG_20190531_203800846.jpg
    IMG_20190531_203800846.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_20190531_203429075.jpg
    IMG_20190531_203429075.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 570
  • IMG_20190531_203647087.jpg
    IMG_20190531_203647087.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 2,042
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My indoor plant which I adore is getting black spots on the leaves. You can scrape them off. I feel that it most likely has to do with a bug, but I couldn't find anything online. I gently scraped off most of the black spots but left some in hoping for some help/answers. If anyone knows how to help this, I'd greatly appreciate it!
If these "spots" are difficult to scrape off what you have are hard scale insects. To get rid of them spray with Neem Oil. If the "spots" are easy to remove spray with a spinosad based insecticide as the insects are likely some type of beetle. Or you can take a much better close up picture and we can tell you for sure what it is.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If these "spots" are difficult to scrape off what you have are hard scale insects. To get rid of them spray with Neem Oil. If the "spots" are easy to remove spray with a spinosad based insecticide as the insects are likely some type of beetle. Or you can take a much better close up picture and we can tell you for sure what it is.
Thank you so much for that awesome information, truly grateful.
I attached a couple more pictures in hopes you might be able to tell which one exactly. (Last one is the close shot)
Thank you so much!

Attachments

• IMG_20190603_215833954.jpg
    IMG_20190603_215833954.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_20190603_215837166.jpg
    IMG_20190603_215837166.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_20190603_215907002.jpg
    IMG_20190603_215907002.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 636
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you so much for that awesome information, truly grateful.
I attached a couple more pictures in hopes you might be able to tell which one exactly. (Last one is the close shot)
Thank you so much!
Those are hard scale insects. They permanently attach themselves to the plant and do not move. When you kill them they do not fall off of the plant immediately. Neem Oil is the best remedy and it smothers them and their eggs. Spray all of the plants in your house just to be on the safe side.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those are hard scale insects. They permanently attach themselves to the plant and do not move. When you kill them they do not fall off of the plant immediately. Neem Oil is the best remedy and it smothers them and their eggs. Spray all of the plants in your house just to be on the safe side.
Thank you very much Chuck, I'll go buy neem oil today. I moved it outside because I was worried about my other ones but I still will to be safe like you said. Thank you so very much!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
One last question. Should I get natural 100% neem oil and spray it on, or should I mix it with water or anything to dilute it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One last question. Should I get natural 100% neem oil and spray it on, or should I mix it with water or anything to dilute it?
All of the Neem Oil I have seen and I have used different brand names are all 70% Neem Oil concentrate. The rate of usage states 1 oz per gallon of water but I always use 2 oz for scale. Do not apply in the heat of the day if you spray outside.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks again Chuck! I was just looking for a cheaper alternative on amazon which seems to be pure neem oil.
May I ask if you have any products you recommend? Then I'll happily just get that product :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks again Chuck! I was just looking for a cheaper alternative on amazon which seems to be pure neem oil.
May I ask if you have any products you recommend? Then I'll happily just get that product :)
I think that all neem oil is basically the same. The neem here in Texas is marketed by Monterrey and sold as Neem Oil Concentrate. The active ingredient is 70% neem oil. It may seem expensive but it makes a recommended 16 gallons. That's a lot of spray.

Reaction score
Country
Estonia
I think that all neem oil is basically the same. The neem here in Texas is marketed by Monterrey and sold as Neem Oil Concentrate. The active ingredient is 70% neem oil. It may seem expensive but it makes a recommended 16 gallons. That's a lot of spray.
Hi, I’ve the same problem. Did neem oil help you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I’ve the same problem. Did neem oil help you?
Neem works very well on some things. I only use it on scale insects and as a fungicide against rust on beans and other minor fungus problems. I also use it to kill eggs if I think that there might be any. One thing about Neem Oil you must know is that it has a limited shelf life. Once you open the bottle it might last 6 months. And an unopened bottle might last 2 years.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, great advice so far. I just wanted to suggest that any oils not be used in sunlight. The effect is like chicken frying in oil. Also, and this is because I do not know about your plant collection, you should keep this one quarantined, and unless it is sentimental, it may be for the greater good of your plant collection to eliminate it. I know it is unpleasant, but having scale pop up in tricky places on all your plants for an indefinite time is not going to help you de-stress, or enjoy your plants. Be sure to sanitize any tools you use from plant to plant. Sadly, scale and many pests can travel on pets, shoes, etc. You may need to think like a detective to get them under control. I have heard scary stories about scale living on walls and furniture when not properly eliminated. If squeamish or not up for a battle, you may want to eliminate the plant from your collection. I once fought this type of scale on a beautiful long succulent basket I had. They won, because I realized the only thing worse than attacking my plant with q tips and alcohol, and saturating it with treatments, was going to be doing that to all the plants in that room. I ended up securing the plant and basket in a heavy contractors bag and putting it in the garbage. It was sad to let it go. But letting 10 plants go would have been ten times as sad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
These are scales. I use bonide neem oil. I would also get the systematic granules as well from bonide.

Since they come off, just spray neem oil on a paper towel and slide off with those small leaves. You can keep it out of the sun so leaves don't burn, but I never had that problem. I use neem oil outside on my rose bush that sits in full sun and its been fine. But up to you. Your plant will be fine if out of sun or direct light for a week.

Ask a Question