Gardening newbie here! Please help identify this plant!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Backstory:
This spring my kids and I finally filled our flower bed with plants. We have lived here for 10 years and were never interested in gardening. As the kids grew older, gardening seemed like a good project to do as a family. We are all VERY new to gardening. We are doing our best, but I do need some help from people more experienced than me.

Around two months I was weeding the flower bed and noticed some leaf sprouts that did not look like leaves. I decided to let them grow to see what would come of it. A few months later, this mystery plant is thriving! It has buds but has yet to bloom. I was wondering if someone would be able to help me identify what type of plant it is. I'll attach a photo. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Emma

Attachments

• flowers 4.jpg
    flowers 4.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 253
Reaction score
Country
United States
I just goggled Asiatic lilies and it definitely resembles that!

I'm blown away because we have never planted lilies and after ten years it just decided to start growing? Perhaps the TLC the garden has been given has made it sprout and thrive. Whatever the case, I can't wait until is in full bloom.

Thanks for your help!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely lily. Asiatic or not, I'm not sure! Make sure you look out for lily beetles. They could turn your pristine and perfect blooms into a mess!

When you see it, just kill - no second thought or compassion needed. Well, you can choose between this red bettle or your lily! Hope it stays away!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Definitely a Lily, without seeing the flower its hard to say exactly what variety as there are many.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have lilies, tulips, daffodils all growing in the woods behind our house. Never planted any of them there! Squirrels love to dig stuff up and bury it somewhere else.
Thsnk you....i learned something today. They are quite the little farmers then!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Definitely lily. Asiatic or not, I'm not sure! Make sure you look out for lily beetles. They could turn your pristine and perfect blooms into a mess!

View attachment 54327

When you see it, just kill - no second thought or compassion needed. Well, you can choose between this red bettle or your lily! Hope it stays away!
I will certainly keep my eye out for these pests!!! Thank you for the warning!

Ask a Question