Dracaena Plant is overgrown

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My Dracena plant has some long and leggy branches. Can they be cut back and rerooted? If so, how would I do that? Cut the long branch close to the dirt or up 4-5 inches?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
15" dia pot. The long part apparently broke off in the wind last night. I guess my question now is, how can I root what broke off? What is in the pot is healthy with new growth.

Attachments

• broken piece.jpg
    broken piece.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 131
  • plant.jpg
    plant.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 140
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh, easy breezy! Cut the 2 tops about 3" below the leaves and stick them in the pot(or a separate one if you want more plants). You can also cut the bare stems into pieces 4-6" long and start even more. Just remember which end is which so you don't plant them upside down. Cut the broken end that's still in the pot just to make a clean cut. Now you can have a Dracaena forest in your livingroom!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh, easy breezy! Cut the 2 tops about 3" below the leaves and stick them in the pot(or a separate one if you want more plants). You can also cut the bare stems into pieces 4-6" long and start even more. Just remember which end is which so you don't plant them upside down. Cut the broken end that's still in the pot just to make a clean cut. Now you can have a Dracaena forest in your livingroom!
Oh my gracious! Thank you so much. I was hoping they could just be stuck in the soil. Maybe a little root starter too....

Are you up for another problem plant? I think it is an Umbrella Tree, though it is not very tree-like. It was originally from a florist. I hear they like to be root bound but it is way too leggy. There is lots of new growth since it went outside a month ago. The tallest part is 53" high if held up. The pot is 12" dia. I'm thinking I would like to trim back the leggy branches. I'm always nervous about pruning!

umbrella tree.jpgroots.jpgnew growth.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's a Dwarf Umbrella Tree or Schefflera arboricola. As far as pruning it goes, you can cut off anything you don't want. They are very tolerant of all kinds of abuse. You might want to start by cutting back to a branch that is growing the direction you want and removing any that are growing where you don't want them. They actually make interesting indoor bonsai if you want to get real creative.

Happy plant parenting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's a Dwarf Umbrella Tree or Schefflera arboricola. As far as pruning it goes, you can cut off anything you don't want. They are very tolerant of all kinds of abuse. You might want to start by cutting back to a branch that is growing the direction you want and removing any that are growing where you don't want them. They actually make interesting indoor bonsai if you want to get real creative.

Happy plant parenting
Great information. I'll give it a shot. Can I root the cuttings or just stick them in the ground like the Dracaena? I'd like to create a couple more of these. Thank you again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They're not as easy as the Dracaena but at least some will root. If you can put it in very bright light or outside in the shade, you can keep it wetter and more will root. Rooting hormone will also help and speed up the process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They're not as easy as the Dracaena but at least some will root. If you can put it in very bright light or outside in the shade, you can keep it wetter and more will root. Rooting hormone will also help and speed up the process.
Thank you so very much!

Ask a Question